World History Homework Seven Answers - Student Seventeen
1. Approximately when and where did the Renaissance occur? The Renaissance was a period of time throughout the Middle Ages which lasted from the 1300’s to the 1600s. The Renaissance is known as a culture rebirth that began in Florence, Italy and spread all throughout Europe.
2. Martin Luther: who was he, what did he do, and when did he do it?: In the year of 1505 a young man named Martin Luther was stranded outside in a violent thunderstorm. Terrified Luther cried out that if he survived he would promise to quit law school and instead join an Augustinian monastery. Martin Luther did survive that storm and did exactly what he had promised to do. Later on in 1517 Luther founded Protestantism, which is a movement within Christianity, by nailing 95 “Theses” to the door of his Wittenberg Church in what is today Germany.
- Correct again!
3. What was the Baroque style, and what was its motivation? The Baroque style began to take place after the Reformation in Germany. Its main goal was to appeal spiritually to the audience, and to make inroads into the protestant regions. Gian Lorenzo Bernini and Peter Paul Rubens were artists who are known for using this style frequently. The Baroque style was also used by a famous artist, Annibale Carracci, who used the “revolutionary” technique of shadows and emotion to display the surprise reaction of the holy woman who visited the tomb of Jesus on Resurrection Sunday.
4. Summarize the history of the English language: The English language is divided into three different periods. Old English which is almost completely different then what we speak in today’s society, Middle English and Modern English. Modern English is what is used today. Old English was used until the Norman conquest of 1066, when Latin began to cause improvements in Old English. The language then changed to Middle English, which lasted until Modern English begun shortly after the end of the Middle Ages in 1500.
5. Chinese dynasties (any one or all), Vietnam, Korea and Cambodia: take your pick and write about one: In A.D. 939 after the fall of the Tang dynasty Vietnam won its independence. The Vietnamese are known for the capability of being able to fight. In the late 1200s they defeated three attempts by the Mongols to conquer Hanoi. Today the population in Vietnam is roughly about 84 million.
- Good, may use as a model!
6. Why did the Renaissance occur in Europe, and not in other areas of the world, such as Asia?: The Renaissance was led by a devout Christian who looked only to Jesus for inspiration. Not one leading Renaissance artist or writer was anything other then Christian. The reason it occurred in Europe was due to the fact that Asia was not a country that was open to the Christian faith and that Asia was experiencing many conflicts at the time.
- Excellent analysis. (Note: "other than," not "other then.")
H6. Chivalry, revisited: write about any aspect of this issue that you like: Chivalry is something that is not seen often in society today. But are we supposed to blame the lack of this quality all on the boys? I don’t think so. I think one reason chivalry is missing from our society today is partially due to girls. So many girls and women think that when guys open doors for us and pull out our chair before we sit, it is saying that we as woman are incapable of doing things for ourselves. Therefore we let our pride get in the way of the respect they are trying to show us. Females need to put their feminism views behind them and allow men to respect and cherish us through their gentlemanly ways. So we shouldn’t put all the blame on the boys for lack of chivalry, but instead show them our appreciation when they do show it. I think this would encourage guys to be more chivalrous and gentleman like.
- Superb answer, will use as a model!
- Terrific homework answers, among the best in the class. 70/70. Well done!--Andy Schlafly 14:06, 22 March 2009 (EDT)