World History Homework Ten Answers - Student Three
1. When and where was the Industrial Revolution?
The Industrial Revolution began in England, in the textile cotton industry. It began to boom in 1760, in both America and England.
- Good, but when did it end? Is it still going on in America and England? (No, it was complete around 1840 in America and England). (Minus 1).
2. Pick your two favorite scientists or mathematicians from the 1800s and explain what you like about them.
Louis Pasteur discovered the germ theory, and saved many lives by his experiments. Bernhard Riemann was a brilliant mathematician, who's insight and intellect allows us to reach conclusions that we would not have previously been able to.
- Superb. (Note: "whose insight," not "who's insight")
3. Do you think the Industrial Revolution was good or bad, and why?
There is a bit of both in the Industrial Revolution, but on the whole, I think it was a good thing. It allowed for much of the technology and lifestyles that we are able to lead today. People cannot blame the Industrial Revolution for the stressful lifestyle that today proposes. It's their choice to go out and make it stressful. The Industrial revolution was not wholly responsible for the stress that many people feel today.
- Excellent, may use as a model.
4. Give an example of nationalism from the lecture, with dates.
A nationalist in Italy, called Giuseppe Mazzini, tried to unify Italy in 1831, in something that he called the 'Brotherhood of Young Italy'. However, Italy was not yet ready to unite, and nothing much happened that year. However, 20 years later, Giuseppe Garibaldi, a former member of the Brotherhood, led a revolt and successfully overthrew the Spanish Bourbon king of the Kingdom of Two Sicilies.
5. What is imperialism? Describe the four patterns of imperialism.
Imperialism is defined as: 'the policy, practice, or advocacy of extending the power and dominion of a nation especially by direct territorial acquisitions or by gaining indirect control over the political or economic life of other areas.' To put it simply, it is when one nation controls another.
The four patterns of Imperialism are:
1. Establish colonies, like the British colonies in America, whereby the European power had direct influence or control over the colonies.
2. Establish protectorates, whereby the region has its own government and is an independent country, but is protected by a larger country. Puerto Rico and Guam today would be an example of that, as they are protected by the United States.
3. An even less direct form of imperialism was “spheres of influence,” in which the European country had special trading privileges over the region.
4. Finally, there was “economic imperialism,” whereby the outside influence was exerted not by a country but by a private business over a region.
SUBSTITUTE: H2. What is your view of imperialism, and whether it is sometimes good?
I think that Imperialism is, overall, a good thing. It's how the world works, because a nation cannot expand without taking over over countries. Many of the cases of imperialism were beneficial to the countries inhabitants, and as long as it remains so, I see no problem with it.
- Insightful answer, will use as a model (after adding an apostrophe to "countries")!
7. Pick any aspect of Asian history in the 1800s and describe and discuss it.
America began to set up sugar plantations in Hawaii. They wanted Hawaii to be annexed to the United States, to avoid paying the high taxes on sugar imports. Queen Lilioukalani, in 1893, tried to tax the Americans off the island, but was overthrown and in 1898 Hawaii was annexed to the United States.
- Superb answers. 69/70. Well done!--Andy Schlafly 10:09, 19 April 2009 (EDT)