Writing Homework Three Student Four
Part A: Correct the errors in the following:
1. The best vegetible is Asparagus. But in public school most kids eat candy rather then good food. Eating better will make you healthier than them.
- The best vegetable is asparagus. But in public schools, most kids eat candy rather than good food. Eating more healthy foods will make you healthier than them.
- "than they". Minus 1. Good otherwise.
2. Congres's problem it is to weak. Worrying so much about what the public think, Washington D.C. does us all a diservice.
- Congress's problem is that it is too weak. Worring so much about what the public thinks, Washington D.C. does us all a disservice.
- Need a comma after "Washington". Minus 1.
3. The most unique day of the year is Easter. Lets face it; neither July 4th or New Years Day are as special of a day.
- The most unique day of the year is Easter. Let's face it: neither July 4th nor New Year's Day are as special as Easter.
- "most unique" is incorrect. Also, in the second sentence, "are" should be "is" because the subject is singular. Minus 2.
4. Someone needs to clean up this mess, and they had better do it before the owner gets here. "Get you're garbage out of hear now," he wrote in a note.
- Someone needs to clean up this mess, and they better do it before the owner gets here "Get you're (sic) garbage out of hear (sic) now," he wrote on a note.
- "they" refers to a singular antecedent. Minus 1. Also, avoid "gets" in the first sentence. Minus 2.
5. I am detirmined to catch all the errors this time ..... I am not going to make any more mistakes no more! Do you think I like being rideculed like this?
- I am determined to catch all the errors this time..... I am not going to make any more mistakes! Do you think I like being ridiculed?
- Too many dots. Minus 1.
6. These two things i know are true; good writing is priceless, and poor writing will hurt your career. That is why I want to be a better writter than him.
- These two things I know are true: good writing is priceless, and poor writing will hurt your career. That is why I want to become a better writer than him.
- "than he". Minus 1.
- Grade: 52/60. Room for improvement!--Andy Schlafly 16:42, 4 March 2012 (EST)
Part B: Emphasizing strong openings to clear, separate paragraphs, and using at least one new vocabulary word that you've never used in an essay before, write an essay of at least 700 words on one of the following:
1. This week, a work of art was purchased for the highest price ever: $250 million for Paul Cezanne's "The Card Players." Please explain and comment.
2. Write an essay about the New York Giants' victory in the Super Bowl.
3. Write about anything in history.
4. Write about the future.
5. What really decides how successful someone will be is not how smart he is, or how many God-given talents he has, but his "work ethic.'" Discuss.
6. In preparation for St. Valentine's Day, explain who Saint Valentine was and what he did.
7. Your opinion of video games.
(8. Any topic of your choice.)
The fast food chain McDonald's is often blamed for the obesity epidemic. Detractors claim that the food is all unhealthy, and that the restaurant want to lure in children with colorful Happy Meal toys and playgrounds. Indeed, the food is not the most healthy in the world, but the chain has made some positive changes in its menu. French fries from the chain no longer contain trans fat, parfaits added to the dessert menu are more healthy than shakes, and the addition of more chicken options lighten the beef menu that the chain is known for.
It is interesting to think how the chain changed from the first days with Ray Kroc to what it has become today. There were only a few items on the menu in the beginning: hamburgers, cheeseburgers, fries, chips, shakes, soda, and pie. The fish sandwich was the first addition to the original menu. There was only one size of fries, what we would consider small. There are small, medium, and large fries on the menu today. The Big Mac, and other large hamburgers were introduced. The portion sizes have increased over 400 percent since the beginning. This is why detractors state more and more children are becoming overweight and obese.
The nanny state would rather ban McDonald's food rather than let people decide what to eat. If people want to eat fast food, let them. If they want large portions, and if McDonald's is willing to sell large portions, the people should get their large portions.