Abortion statistics include the fact that the number of abortions in the United States peaked in 1990 and has been generally declining ever since. Many women who had abortions are now outspoken critics of the procedure.
These include Jennifer O'Neill, a Hollywood star, gives talks about how she had an abortion at age 19 and later greatly regretted it.
The percentage of Americans who are pro-life has been steadily increasing, particularly among youth, while the numbers who are "pro-choice" are declining. Gallup Poll reported in 2009 that the number of Americans who are pro-life exceeds 50% for the first time.
- Nearly half of all African American babies are aborted
- There are approximately 42 million babies aborted annually world wide
- More than half of all pregnancies in Russia are aborted
- 83% of all abortions are obtained in developing countries and 17% occur in developed countries
- At it's peak in 1996 approximately 1.37 million American Babies were killed in the womb
- Women identifying themselves as Protestants obtain 37.4% of all abortions in the U.S.
- Catholic women account for 31.3%
- Jewish women account for 1.3%
- Women with no religious affiliation obtain 23.7% of all abortions
- 18% of all abortions are performed on women who identify themselves as "Born-again/Evangelical"
- 1% of all abortions occur because of rape or incest; 6% of abortions occur because of potential health problems regarding either the mother or child, and 93% of all abortions occur for social reasons (i.e. the child is unwanted or inconvenient).
- 52% of all abortions occur before the 9th week of pregnancy, 25% happen between the 9th & 10th week, 12% happen between the 11th and 12th week, 6% happen between the 13th & 15th week, 4% happen between the 16th & 20th week, and 1% of all abortions (16,450/yr.) happen after the 20th week of pregnancy.
- An estimated 43% of all women will have at least 1 abortion by the time they are 45 years old
- 47% of all abortions are performed on women who have had at least one previous abortion
- 48% of all abortion facilities provide services after the 12th week of pregnancy. 9 in 10 managed care plans routinely cover abortion or provide limited coverage. About 14% of all abortions in the United States are paid for with public funds, virtually all of which are state funds. 16 states (CA, CT, HI, ED, IL, MA , MD, MD, MN, MT, NJ, NM, NY, OR, VT, WA and WV) pay for abortions for some poor women