Am Govt Homework 4 Answers - Student Six
1. Which federal commission has responsibility for issues concerning the internet, and in which federal department is it located? What is your view about whether it should regulate the internet?
The Federal Communications Commission, or FCC, has become responsible for issues concerning the Internet. The FCC is located in the Commerce Department. The FCC should not be able to regulate the Internet, as it is a form of freedom of speech and of the press.
- Excellent answer. But there was a mistake in the lecture: the FCC is actually an independent agency, and is not part of the Commerce Department, even though the FCC does regulate a type of commerce. Full credit.
2. What do you think are the three most important federal agencies or commissions, and why?
The Defense Department is the most important because is responsible for the defense and security of the United States from foreign aggressors.
Next the Department of Homeland Security is very important for preventing domestic terrorism and violent protests.
The Department of Energy is important for finding, and testing, cleaner and more efficient energy sources to lower our reliance on oil from the Middle East.
- Superb - but many criticize how the Department of Energy gets in the way of finding new energy sources. I think the Department of Energy is one of the departments that conservative Rick Perry wanted to eliminate if he were to become president.
3. Explain what the "Cabinet" is, and who (in general terms) is in it.
The cabinet consists of 15 officials appointed by the President and approved by the Senate. Along with Vice President, these officials include the Secretaries of Agriculture, Commerce, Defense, Education, Energy, Health and Human Services, Homeland Security, Housing and Urban Development, Interior, Labor, State, Transportation, Treasury, and Veterans Affairs, as well as the Attorney General.
- Superb answer - best in the class.
4. How might the election of Mitt Romney to president this year affect who is governor of New Jersey in 2013? Explain.
If Mitt Romney is elected president he plans to appoint the New Jersey governor Chris Christie to be the U.S. Attorney General. If Chris Christie accepts this position he will no longer be governor of New Jersey and a new governor must be elected.
- Almost right. If Chris Christie goes to the Department of Justice in a Romney Administration, then the NJ lieutenant governor (a liberal Republican) will become governor.
5. What information would you like to seek in a "FOIA request," and why? Specify a federal agency from whom you might seek this information by filing a FOIA request.
Under the Freedom of Information Act, it is possible to request the military records of a deceased relative, such as a grandparent. This information is requested from the US national archives.
- Fascinating answer.
6. What is your view of Executive Orders? Explain.
Executive orders have their usefulness, when important decisions must be made quickly. This power however can be abused and used as a way to simply bypass Congress. Congress should have the ability to override an executive order, as the executive branch does not have the authority to pass legislation on a regular basis.
- Superb analysis.
7. In which department is the FEC located? Do you agree it should be there, and why? (a little research is needed to answer this)
The Federal Election Commission is an independent regulatory agency, is not under any department, and is not controlled by the President. The FEC should be independent of the president’s control. If it was, he could manipulate it, to help himself, or hurt his adversary in an election.
- Excellent. Grammar: "If it was" -> "If it were"
8. Which agency decides whether a new adult stem cell therapy will be allowed in the United States, and what political considerations are likely to influence that decision?
- Total score: 70/70. A perfect score - perhaps the first in the class this year by anyone.