Astronomy is "the study of objects and matter outside the earth's atmosphere and of their physical and chemical properties."  It has been studied since ancient times, forming a major part of the religions of many early civilizations such as the Egyptians and the Aztecs. Stonehenge in England is also thought to be an astronomical observatory. The handing down of complex astronomical teachings shows these early civilizations must have had formalized systems of education.
Astronomy was crucial to the development of safe and accurate navigation for ships, and observations of the movement of heavenly bodies helped lead to the theories we now call physics. In fact, much of astronomy today relies on physics, thus many astronomers are considered astrophysicists.
Young Earth Creationism View
Young earth creationist hold the earth and universe is approximately 6,000 years old. Young earth creationist scientists state the following is true: there are multiple lines of evidence pointing to a young earth and universe; the old earth and universe paradigm has numerous anomalies and uses invalid dating methods, and there are multiple citations in the secular science literature that corroborate the implausibility of the old earth and universe paradigm (for details see: Young earth creationism).
Starlight As An Objection To The Big Bang Theory
The starlight problem is an argument against the big bang theory which theorizes a universe of billions of years old.  The creation science organization Answers in Genesis has stated the following regarding the starlight problem for the Big Bang Theory and the work of Charles W. Misner is cited who published his work in Physical Review Letters:
|“||The problem is this: even assuming the big bang timescale, there has not been enough time for light to travel between widely separated regions of space. So, how can the different regions of the current [cosmic microwave background] CMB have such precisely uniform temperatures if they have never communicated with each other? This is a light-travel–time problem.||”|
Starlight As An Objection to Young Earth Creationism
Those who propose an old universe assert there is a starlight problem for the young universe model. A key assumption for this objection to a young universe model is that the speed of light has been constant.
Major Fields in Astronomy
- Cosmology-The study of the Universe as a whole
- Astrophysics-The physics behind astronomical objects
- Archeoastronomy-The study of how the stars influenced ancient cultures
- Radio Astronomy-Using radio waves to study the universe
- Optical Astronomy-Study of astronomical objects in the visible light range
- Planetary Science-Study of planets and moons, both in our solar system and outside our solar system
- Exobiology-Theoretical study of extraterrestrial life
- Astronautical Engineering-The design and construction of space craft
- The NASA Homepage
- The NASA Planetary Photojournal
- American Astronomical Society
- British Astronomical Association
- Bad Astronomy a website that deals with myths and misconceptions in astronomy.
- A guide on how to start
- Astronomy Picture of the Day Each day a different image or photograph of our fascinating universe is featured, along with a brief explanation written by a professional astronomer.