Barack Obama birthplace controversy
Barack Obama claims to have been born at the Kapi'olani Medical Center for Women & Children in Honolulu, Hawaii, to Barack Obama, Sr., a Luo from Nyang’oma Kogelo, Nyanza Province, Kenya, and Ann Dunham, a US citizen  of mainly English, Irish and smaller amounts of German descent. However, requests, including lawsuits, asking he make his official birth certificate public have gone unanswered.
|“||No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.||”|
Thus, according the Constitution, for all persons who were born in another country, even if they are US citizens, they are prohibited from legitimately becoming President. However, Barack Obama was born to an American citizen, which makes him a citizen by birth regardless of his birthplace.
In total, there are at least 6 lawsuits in the effort to compel President-elect Obama to prove his birthplace and US Citizenship. The lawsuits include those by Democrat former-Assistant Attorney General of Pennsylvania Philip Berg, American Independent Party founder and former-Republican Party Presidential Primary candidate Alan Keyes, and independent author Andy Martin.
Philip Berg explains his lawsuit in this linked video 
The Obama campaign released a "Certification of Live Birth" from the State of Hawaii claiming this is proof Obama was born in Hawaii. However, the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands, an official government agency of the State of Hawaii rejects this document as proof of Hawaiian birth. They require instead a "Certificate of Live Birth" (1st word different). The department states:
|“||In order to process your application, DHHL utilizes information that is found only on the original Certificate of Live Birth, which is either black or green. This is a more complete record of your birth than the Certification of Live Birth (a computer-generated printout). Submitting the original Certificate of Live Birth will save you time and money since the computer-generated Certification requires additional verification by DHHL.||”|
Bloggers note that the "Certification of Live Birth" records Obama's father's race as "AFRICAN" versus "Negro" and that the document contains the word "LASER" in the lower left hand corner identifying the form type. They claim both words are incompatible with a document generated in 1961. They also note the certification number is blacked out.
- Birthplace of Barack Obama
- Obama birth certificate controversy
- Obama birth certificate lawsuits
- Essay:Born Outside the U.S.A.!
- Maraniss, David. "Though Obama Had to Leave to Find Himself, It Is Hawaii That Made His Rise Possible", The Washington Post, 2008-08-22. Retrieved on 2008-10-27.
- Born in the U.S.A.. FactCheck (August 21, 2008). Retrieved on October 24, 2008.
- "FOXNews.com - Report: Obama's Irish Roots Unearthed - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum", Foxnews.com, May 3, 2007. Retrieved on 2008-11-08.
- Barack Obama's Irish Heritage - John A. Farrell (usnews.com). Usnews.com. Retrieved on 2008-11-08.
- Tiny Irish Village Is Latest Place to Claim Obama as Its Own - washingtonpost.com. Washingtonpost.com. Retrieved on 2008-11-08.
- Obama Campaign; Fight The Smears Website
- Forms; Department of Hawaiian Home Lands
- Conservative Politics Today Website
Sources favoring the Courts' compelling Obama to prove his birthplace and citizenship:
Sources opposed to the Courts' compelling Obama to prove his birthplace and citizenship: