Bossier City is the largest city in Bossier Parish in northwestern Louisiana. Though the 2010 census count was 61,315, the 2013 population had grown to 66,333. Bossier City is located on the eastern bank of the Red River across from the larger city of Shreveport. The Shreveport-Bossier region is known as the "Ark-La-Tex".
Bossier City is home of Barksdale Air Force Base and Bossier Parish Community College, which observed its fiftieth anniversary in 2017. it is also a mecca for legal gambling, with river boats and hotels vested in casinos. The current mayor is a Republican, Lorenz James "Lo" Walker, a Shreveport native and retired United States Air Force colonel. The city council consists of five Republicans and one Democrat and one Independent. Bossier Parish is among the Republican strongholds in Louisiana, but neighboring Caddo Parish is usually Democratic in contested elections.
In the 1830s, the land that became Bossier City was the site of a plantation, Elysian Grove, purchased by James Cane. After years of slow settlement while known as Cane City, Bossier City was incorporated as a village in 1906, when Ewald Max Hoyer of Shreveport was appointed the first mayor. Much later Governor Earl Long declared Bossier City a city.
- Marvin Anding, mayor of Bossier City, 1977-1983
- Henry Burns, District 9 state representative from 2008 to 2016
- Glenn E. Clark, businessman and local politician
- Raymond Crews, current District 8 state representative
- Ryan Gatti, current District 36 state senator
- Ray Germany, basketball player and coach
- B. H. Gilley, historian; former professor at Louisiana Tech University
- Andy Clay Harris, former pastor of The Church of the Cross Assemblies of God congregation
- James Henderson, president of the University of Louisiana System; former chancellor of Bossier Parish Community College
- Fred Lowery, Baptist clergyman
- Barrow Peacock, state senator for part of Bossier Parish; a Shreveport businessman
- Buddy Roemer, governor of Louisiana from 1988 to 1992
- Charles E. Roemer, II, businessman, farmer, politician
- Parker Self, chief judge of the Louisiana 26th Judicial District Court
- Jeff R. Thompson, judge and former state representative
- David Wade, former commander of Barksdale Air Force Base
- Population Estimates. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved on 2014-08-28.