Chelsea Clinton (born February 27, 1980 in Little Rock, Arkansas) is the daughter of former President of the United States Bill Clinton and former First Lady, and later Secretary of State, Hillary Rodham Clinton.
Chilhood and the White House
In a series of pro-Clinton infomercials hosted by MTV entitled Choose or Loose, her father promised young people that he would send Chelsea to a public high school in Washington D.C. and stressed the importance of elected officials leading by example to restore confidence in America's public schools. Upon election, the Clinton's chose to segregate Chelsea in the rich and white-dominated exclusive Sidwell Friends school in Washington.
Her life growing up in the White House was quiet in comparison to those of other presidential children, as the Clinton's imposed a ban on media reporting on Chelsea's life and activities so as to shield her from the resulting intrusion. Other than flunking her driver license test, Chelsea sparked little attention. In the later years of her father's presidency, as her mother sought election to the Senate, Chelsea assumed some of the hosting duties of the First Lady, filling in for Hillary while she was away. After her father's term in office, she went on to earn a master's degree in International Relations from Oxford.
In 2008, as a young woman, she began campaigning for her mother, who was seeking the nomination for Democratic presidential candidate in the 2008 election. After Hillary Clinton's loss to Barack Obama, the Clinton family threw their support behind the Illinois senator, and Chelsea introduced her mother as the keynote speaker at the 2008 Democratic National Convention. In December of that year, her mother was nominated by Obama to be the next Secretary of State.
In 2010 Clinton married investment banker Marc Mezvinsky in a lavish wedding with 400 guests at a cost of $5 million. Mezvinsky is the son of Marjorie Margolies-Mezvinsky who sacrificed her congressional career when she was led to the House floor in tears by the Democratic leadership to switch her vote for passage of Bill Clinton's tax increases. After six months, Mezvinsky quit his job and abandoned Clinton in her Manhattan apartment to enjoy a three month separation in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.
CareerLike other veterans of the Clinton White House, such as George Stephanopoulos, Chelsea Clinton was hired by a lamestream media organization without any special talent or formal training for news reporting and broadcasting.
- How Bill Clinton Engaged Younger Voters, by Matthew C. Nisbet, December 14, 2011.
- Keep Chelsea Outta Sight, New York Daily News, September 14, 1997; media clampdowns become especially harsh after it was reported the daughter of the two smartest people on the planet flunked her driver's test.
- Chelsea Clinton's Wedding -- $15,000 Porta-Potties, NBC TODAY Show, 07/29/2010.
- When A Hard Vote Ends A Political Career, By Karen Tumulty, TIME magazine, March 03, 2010; ...one of the most extraordinary spectacles I have ever witnessed in the House Chamber...; Mirage, Ch. 7, "The Education of Bill Clinton". Bloomberg Businessweek. Once the 15 minutes usually set aside for a House vote expire, the automatic voting machine shuts down and the only way to vote is with a cardboard card ...[Speaker Tom] Foley, normally a placid, gentle soul, grabbed Thornton's arm and angrily reminded him of what he was doing. "You can't let her make this vote!" he shouted. "You've got to be with the president, he's from your state!"...Tim Penny accosted [Democratic Whip Bill] Richardson and shook him angrily. "You've killed her; you killed this woman with this vote, you can't do this to her."... Around her, people swirled in constant motion, conferring, shouting, grabbing arms and yelling in each others' ears.... Foley walked up and told her they needed her vote....She had the look of someone on the way to her own hanging. ... Margolies-Mezvinsky was in tears. Michigan Democrat Sander Levin kissed her on the cheek and gently guided her off the floor into a small holding area called the Red Room, where California Democrat Anna Eshoo comforted her. Richardson came hustling in and thanked her for her vote. "But I may have lost my seat," she protested, choking back tears. Eshoo flashed a venomous look at Richardson. "I can't believe you guys did this to her." See also CS Monitor, Dec 15, 1993, Clinton Pays a Debt – "Marjorie Margolies-Mezvinsky (D). This was the nearly perfect political horse trade of a media-driven age."
- New groom Marc Mezvinsky mysteriously leaves Chelsea Clinton at home, Herald Sun Melbourne, February 03, 2011.
- Chelsea Clinton fails Journalism 101 again on NBC's Rock Center', Why do Brian Williams and the producers continue this charade?, By David Zurawik, The Baltimore Sun, February 16, 2012.