Difference between revisions of "Conservapedia talk:Deletedpage"
(→Perhaps: Replies to Bohdan and U2)
m (Protected "Conservapedia talk:Deletedpage" [edit=sysop:move=sysop])
Revision as of 00:41, 21 July 2007
Andy just restored this page with the comment "31 revisions restored: many pages link to this, so I don't think it should be deleted. Am I missing something?".
No, you are correct. This page is the destination of many redirects.
If a page is deleted that we don't want recreated (offensive title, etc.), then the page is turned into a protected redirect to this article. This is because:
- If the offending page is simply deleted, there is nothing stopping someone else recreating it.
- If the offending page is simply emptied and protected, it will show up on the Random Page link, lists of uncategorised pages, etc. Making the page a redirect prevents these problems.
- If the offending page is made a redirect and not protected, there is again nothing stopping someone else recreating it.
- Instead of simply deleting the offending page's content and making it a redirect, if the content was particularly offensive, it is best to delete the page itself, then create a new one of the same name as a redirect to this page.
- If the title of the page is acceptable but the content is not, then deleting the page and not recreating/redirecting is better, as that then allows someone to recreate the page with legitimate content.
- If this page (not this talk page, but Conservapedia:Deletedpage) (or any page) is deleted and restored, as has happened at least twice now, the protection is lost and has to be reapplied.
Philip J. Rayment 00:28, 21 July 2007 (EDT)
Conservapedia:Deletedpage could be created in it's own namespace that doesn't show up in random page searches?
- Create a namespace (DELETES or whatever)
- Move Conservapedia:Deletedpage there
- Protect same.
- Tickle Mediawiki so DELETES doesn't show up in the database.
U2 00:35, 21 July 2007 (EDT)
- I don't pages that link to Conservapedia:Deletedpage does show up in random page searches. Do you think they do?--Aschlafly 00:37, 21 July 2007 (EDT)
- Fixed by inserting #REDIRECT <<double-brackets here>>Conservapedia:Deletedpage<<double-brackets here>> . Thanks--Aschlafly 00:54, 21 July 2007 (EDT)
- It does now I see! [I wrote that prior to Andy's message above.] Yes, that one was done the old way (even though only done recently), where the page was protected and had a notice, but not redirected to this page. I don't think any redirect page shows up with the Random Page link (and that makes sense). And I think that only mainspace pages show up with the Random Page link, so this page, being in Conservapedia namespace, wouldn't show up that way either. But I could be corrected on that.
- In reply to U2, I think this solution that we have works well enough that it's not worth the bother of doing what you suggest. Of course, that's just my opinion.
- Philip J. Rayment 00:59, 21 July 2007 (EDT)