Debate:Should the Conservapedia logo be changed?
The Conservapedia logo, as I am sure you are all aware, proudly displays the flag of the United States. While this certainly reflects conservatism in the United States, it does little to consider the other conservatives in the world. I suggest a change is in order. Perhaps a portrait of Edmund Burke, a Godfather of conservatism? -- LincolnShuddered
- I would support changing the logo, since in its current form it is in clear violation of Section 3 of the U.S. flag code.
- "Any person who, within the District of Columbia, in any manner, for exhibition or display, shall place or cause to be placed any word, figure, mark, picture, design, drawing, or any advertisement of any nature upon any flag, standard, colors, or ensign of the United States of America; [...] shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine not exceeding $100 or by imprisonment for not more than thirty days, or both. [...] The words 'flag, standard, colors, or ensign', as used herein, shall include any flag, standard, colors, ensign, or any picture or representation of either, or of any part or parts of either, made of any substance or represented on any substance, of any size evidently purporting to be either of said flag, standard, colors, or ensign of the United States of America or a picture or a representation of either, upon which shall be shown the colors, the stars and the stripes, in any number of either thereof, or of any part or parts of either, by which the average person seeing the same without deliberation may believe the same to represent the flag, colors, standard, or ensign of the United States of America.
- Perhaps there is no violation of the letter of the law if this site is hosted outside of DC, but I believe it quite clearly violates the flag code in spirit. While I appreciate Conservapedia's desire to have a patriotic logo, I've always found this flagrant show of disrespect to be somewhat appalling for a site of this nature. --MarkGall 22:10, 17 September 2009 (EDT)
- Ridiculous statements--Jpatt 23:36, 17 September 2009 (EDT)
- The logo places a word on a representation of the U.S. flag. This explicitly violates the flag code. What exactly do you find ridiculous about my statements? Do you believe the flag code should be amended to permit such displays? Of course it's not as bad as burning the flag or some such, and the code doesn't have force of law here, but I think CP should do better. --MarkGall 23:48, 17 September 2009 (EDT)
My original point in starting this topic was to help Conservapedia reach out to the global conservative comunity, as opposed to a strictly American conservative encyclopedia as the logo suggests. --LincolnShuddered 20:26, 29 September 2009 (EDT)