Debate:Why should we be afraid of God?
God, as understood and accepted, is everywhere, knows everything, is all powerful, can do anything, to anyone, at anytime. So, why should God have to instil fear in humans? If God can do anything, to anyone, at anytime, why instill fear? There is nothing anyone can do about it anyway, according to that belief system. USer:Seekcommon
- Your right. Come to think of it why would God do anything. What possible purpose could his existence serve. If God is pointless then what is the point of Conservapedia? What is the point of this article?Rebiu 22:40, 10 May 2007 (EDT)
Be Not Afraid
1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
-That's deep man.
- When the Bible says things like "knew that he feared God" I think it's using archaic language indicating respect - not "fear" in the sense of terror. But that's just my own Universalist interpretation of scripture. --Ed Poor 12:43, 17 April 2007 (EDT)
Be Very Afraid
Certainly we should love God for all the love he shows (and has shown) us. But you have to remember that God does set a standard of living that we should try to live up to. God choose to do many things to show his justice, he threw Adam and Eve out of the garden because they choose to sin. Because God is justice we should fear him because many times we choose sin which is unjust.
- What about all the rules to live by as stated in the Old Testament? If those rules are followed today, I wonder if anyone will be alive - since death seems to be the punishment for so many things, including, working on the sabbath. I wonder how long this post/response will last before it is moved/deleted. User:Seekcommon
Don't you think that if everyone were being killed for their sins, the amount of sins would decrease? Death is a powerful crime deterrent.
P.S. I don't know why you fear that your posts will be deleted. Posts will only be deleted if they are obscene. Your questions are welcomed, at least by me. --<<-David R->> 23:18, 10 April 2007 (EDT)
- I am glad to find some interest. There have been deletions that do not make sense, I wish I had saved some of the posts. It has been my experience that on the right AND the left, often when discussion/debates veer into uncomfortable territory, wham, the hammer comes down. User:Seekcommon
- How can an infinite span of time suffering the torment of fire be justice for a mere 70 or 80 years on Earth spent under confusing circumstances with conflicting "gospels" to choose from? Teresita 14:59, 10 April 2007 (EDT)
- Good question. Seems unreasonable to me. Then again, it's the issue of instilling FEAR, perhaps there is nothing to fear from the Almighty Himself but from the mortals that helped write the books/scriptures and changed them over the years. User:Seekcommon (Wonder what the life of these words will be? A day? Two perhaps?
The word fear applys to different emotions. Firstly, we should fear the Lord in the sense of the word meaning to have reverential awe (after all he created the universe). Secondly, as his children, we have no reason to fear him (using the common definition of terror and fright) unless we pursue that is perverse and sinful. It's good to fear the Lord, not to be afraid of the Him (unless you're sinful.)Dfairlyxed13
- Perhaps you could provide a source for your definition of fear Dfailyxed13 as it sounds like total B.S.. I mean really, fear = reverential awe, what a contortion.Rebiu 22:31, 10 May 2007 (EDT)
We should fear the corruption which stems from the universe, but fear no god, for the power of the divinai will fall to the wrath of Sathience.
- Please explain what "corruption which stems from the universe" is supposed to mean. You might also define you pretend term or Sathience.Rebiu 22:31, 10 May 2007 (EDT)
You better be afraid. God destroyed every living thing on the planet, save those in a boat, on a whim. God has shown a pattern of punishing those who displease him by killing their children, family and associates so do not fool yourself into thinking a righteous existence will save you.Rebiu 22:31, 10 May 2007 (EDT)