The deep state (sometimes called the "permanent state" or referred to as a shadow government) is a term used to describe when unelected bureaucrats and other figures are the ones who actually control a government and its policies, rather than the people and those they elect. In this shadow government, bureaucrats in government agencies and/or the armed forces, along with willing allies outside of actual government agencies (such as those in the mainstream media, political parties, lobbyists, consulting firms, and big business) are involved in the determination, control, and manipulation of government policy. These persons generally hold liberal and globalist worldviews, with their ultimate aim to establish a one-world government utopia.
While intelligence agencies and other national security-related agencies are considered to make up the bulk of the deep state, the deep state is believed to exert very strong control over every government agency. The Senior Executive Service is a notable example of this. Some nongovernmental organizations, such as the Council on Foreign Relations, Bilderberg group, and the Trilateral Commission, also serve as arms of the deep state and hold much sway over government policies. Also, contrary to what many people believe, a small number of people have almost total control over the world economy, and Wall Street interests along with a small number of wealthy left-wing globalist donors comprise the deep state.
In February 2017, U.S. President Donald Trump made public his fight with the intelligence community over allegations that Russian spy networks helped get him in power, leading to popular use of the term "deep state" to describe the entrenched government in Washington, D.C. The “deep state” reportedly hopes to obstruct and dismantle the Trump Administration, with NSA intelligence analyst John Schindler warning that a friend in the “intelligence community” told him that Trump “will die in jail.”
The deep state opposes President Trump
Due to his promotion and support of conservative, America First policies, President Donald Trump faced large opposition from the left, including from within the government bureaucracy and establishment. Obama holdovers worked to block President Trump's agenda and continue liberal policies. The fact that members of the Deep State have grown visibly scared of reports stating such confirms this view.
Numerous government officials who resigned due to President Trump's actions subtly inserted anti-Trump messages into their resignation letters. The Trump Administration was the victim of numerous leaks of information, many of which threatened U.S. national security – it was reported in July 2017 that leaks occurred once a day on average, and Trump faced seven times more leaks than Obama or Bush II did. The Russia probe headed by Special Counsel and former FBI Director Robert Mueller was found to have hired investigators extremely biased against President Trump.
The deep state – including appointees handpicked by Trump – worked to undermine Trump's America First policies. This is seen by the Trump Administration's National Security Strategy, which globalist never Trumpers praised. The anti-Trump deep state was likely responsible for a press release by the Environmental Protection Agency which included criticism of a major executive order President Trump signed – something that governmental agencies never do when reporting on actions done by their officials.
Former conservative National Security Council official Rich Higgins warned about the deep state, stating in a memo that "globalists, bankers, Islamists, and establishment Republicans" were seeking to undermine and eventually destroy Donald Trump's presidency – Higgins was fired because of the memo. Sebastian Gorka, a conservative who served as a national security advisor to President Trump, revealed several examples of the deep state at work trying to undermine Trump's conservative and nationalist agenda. Trump Administration officials have claimed the deep state "weaponized" the security clearance process to hurt them and the president's agenda.
Some alternative media and former insiders claim that the constant leaks coming out of President Donald Trump's administration and thinly veiled threats on the part of the intelligence community, is further proof of the existence of a shadow government.
In early January, Democratic Senator Chuck Schumer appeared on The Rachel Maddow Show and suggested the intelligence community may try to get exact revenge on President Trump:
|“||Let me tell you, you take on the intelligence community, they have six ways from Sunday at getting back at you. So, even for a practical, supposedly, hard-nosed businessman, he’s being really dumb to do this.||”|
According to Amanda Taub and Max Fisher from The New York Times, "deep state" is "where shadowy networks within government bureaucracies, often referred to as 'deep states,' undermine and coerce elected governments."
Bill Kristol, the prominent Republican analyst who founded The Weekly Standard, wrote on Twitter, "Obviously strongly prefer normal democratic and constitutional politics. But if it comes to it, prefer the deep state to the Trump state."
In early March 2017, President Trump announced that Obama had wiretapped his office in Trump Tower during the campaign. The leftist mainstream media accused him of having no evidence for that claim, even though they contradicted themselves through earlier reports and showed themselves to be hypocrites. President Trump requested Congress to investigate this.
On March 22, 2017, GOP U.S. Representative Devin Nunes revealed that some of the Trump Team's conversations had been spied upon. On March 29, 2017, Evelyn Farkas, the deputy assistant secretary of defense under Obama, admitted that the Obama Administration attempted to gather as much intelligence as possible on Trump's alleged ties to Russia after the 2016 election and that it tried to hide their intelligence sources from the Trump Administration. U.S. intelligence agencies had been investigating people in Trump's presidential campaign throughout the campaign season. According to a Fox News report, an unnamed but well-known and senior intelligence official not associated with the Federal Bureau of Investigation directed investigations attempting to unveil private Americans working with Trump's transition team.
The FISA warrant granted to surveil Carter Page in October 2016, labelling him as an "agent of a foreign power," granted the FBI the authority to apply the same extensive intrusions to anyone Carter Page had electronic (cell phone, text & email) communications with in the Trump transition team and Trump administration. The surveillance authority was in effect at least up to August 2017. Being that Special Counsel Robert Mueller was given unprecedented power by taking over a counterintelligence investigation, it is unknown if Mueller has FISA authority. Under the FISA Act, if an American citizen is labelled an "agent of a foreign power," their rights of due process and protections of the Fourth Amendment can be ignored. This appears to have happened to an inordinate number of Trump appointees, White House staffers, and even possibly Congressional Republicans.
According to a June 2017 Harvard-Harris poll, nearly 2/3rds of people believed that "there exists a campaign to delegitimize" President Trump, and 54% of people believed that the deep state "is trying to unseat President Trump using leaks of classified information."
According to a Monmouth University conducted in March 2018, 74% of Americans believe in the existence of a deep state.
Deep state and the mainstream media
The assassination of US President John F. Kennedy, according to some in the alternative media, was actually a coup d'etat that escalated the Vietnam War for the military–industrial complex, but the Warren Commission (whose members were part of the deep state) found, and the mainstream media successfully presented it to the public as, that is was the work of a lone gunman devoid of deep state connections.
Non-governmental deep state organizations
While the U.S. federal government makes up much of the deep state, several non-governmental organizations exert a disproportionately large influence on governmental policy – both in the U.S. and around the world, pushing policy in a left-wing globalist direction. These deep state NGOs include:
Other organizations with similar goals and beliefs include the World Affairs Council, the Aspen Institute, Le Cercle, the Brookings Institution, the Club of Rome, the Atlantic Council, the World Economic Forum, and the World Government Summit.
- Fake news
- Mainstream media and Donald Trump
- Deep state coup
- Media-intelligence complex
- War on Sovereignty
- Oleg Deripaska
- Deep State Special Report: Pulling Strings From Behind The Scenes — The New American magazine, January 8, 2018, edition.
- Hayward, John (August 31, 2017). Gorka: Trump Has Best Instincts, but Obama Holdovers Are ‘Massive Problem’. Breitbart News. Retrieved September 1, 2017.
- Multiple references:
- Newman, Alex (January 8, 2018). Deep State: Pulling Strings From Behind the Scenes. The New American. Retrieved January 9, 2018.
- Multiple references:
- Newman, Alex (October 26, 2017). Deep State “Intelligence” Threatens Trump, Self-Government. The New American. Retrieved November 1, 2017.
- Newman, Alex (January 8, 2018). Deep State: Underbelly of the Intelligence Community. The New American. Retrieved January 9, 2018.
- Newman, Alex (January 8, 2018). Deep State Bureaucracy vs. Trump, America, Constitution. The New American. Retrieved January 9, 2018.
- Newman, Alex (May 22, 2018). They Decide What Government Does. The New American. Retrieved May 22, 2018.
- Newman, Alex (January 8, 2018). Deep State Behind the Deep State: CFR, Trilaterals, Bilderbergs. The New American. Retrieved January 9, 2018.
- Newman, Alex (January 8, 2018). Deep State: Secret Societies: Skull and Bones, Bohemians, Illuminati. The New American. Retrieved January 9, 2018.
- Deep State Money Men: Rockefeller, Rothschild, Soros. The New American. Retrieved December 27, 2017.
- Vitali, Stefania; Glattfelder, James B.; Battiston, Stefano (October 26, 2011). The Network of Global Corporate Control. PLOS. Retrieved December 27, 2017.
- Lutz, Ashley (June 12, 2012). This Chart Shows The Bilderberg Group's Connection To Everything In The World. Business Insider. Retrieved January 31, 2018.
- Newman, Alex (January 8, 2018). Deep State: Follow the Rothschild, Soros, and Rockefeller Money. The New American. Retrieved January 9, 2018.
- US intel community 'ready to go nuclear' against Donald Trump over Russia ties, claims former NSA analyst
- Multiple references:
- Singman, Brooke (January 31, 2017). Trump faces bureaucratic battle in implementing agenda. Fox News. Retrieved February 1, 2017.
- Kurtz, Howard (February 3, 2017). The empire strikes back: Why Trump's private talks with foreign leaders were leaked. Fox News. Retrieved February 3, 2017.
- Multiple references:
- Starr, Penny (December 19, 2017). Federal Bureaucrats Continue to Advance Obama’s Agenda, Including Climate Change Promotion. Breitbart News. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- Rogers, Brian (September 13, 2017). Obama holdovers are slowing Trump's agenda in key agencies. Washington Examiner. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- Gallington, Daniel (June 7, 2017). Loyalty matters. The Washington Times. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- Pollock, Richard; Barton, Ethan (August 14, 2017). EXCLUSIVE: Obama Holdovers Still In Dozens Of Key National Security Council Jobs. The Daily Caller. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- Garcia, Carlos (November 17, 2017). ICE union says Obama holdovers are sabotaging immigration enforcement, here’s how. The Blaze. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- POLITICO: Obama Admin Bureaucrats ‘Panicked’ by Breitbart Spotlight: Don’t Question Our Loyalty! Breitbart News. Retrieved March 22, 2017.
- Pappas, Alex (August 23, 2017). Hiding secret anti-Trump messages in resignation letters is latest political craze. Fox News. Retrieved August 23, 2017.
- Boylan, Dan (July 6, 2017). White House leaks that threaten national security stream out at rate of one a day. The Washington Times. Retrieved July 7, 2017.
- Wong, Kristina (July 7, 2017). DEEP STATE: Trump Facing Seven Times More National Security Leaks Than Obama or Bush. Breitbart News. Retrieved July 7, 2017.
- Multiple references:
- Ex-Mueller aides' texts revealed: Read them here. Fox News. December 13, 2017. Retrieved January 5, 2018.
- Singman, Brooke (December 7, 2017). Top Mueller investigator's Democratic ties raise new bias questions. Fox News. Retrieved January 5, 2018.
- Anti-Trump bias exposed in Mueller probe. Fox News. December 5, 2017. Retrieved January 5, 2018.
- Chamberlain, Samuel (December 12, 2018). 'F TRUMP': Texts between ex-Mueller team members emerge, calling Trump 'loathsome human,' 'an idiot'. Fox News. Retrieved January 5, 2018.
- Wong, Kristina (December 13, 2017). Deepstate: FBI Agents Texted About Protecting Country Against Trump. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 5, 2018.
- Jasper, William F. (December 29, 2017). Deep State Boasts: We’re Sabotaging Trump From the Inside. The New American. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- Pollak, Joel B. (March 30, 2017). ‘Deep State’ Suspected in EPA Press Release ‘Error’. Breitbart News. Retrieved March 30, 2017.
- Multiple references:
- Winter, Jana; Groll, Elias (August 10, 2018). Here’s the Memo That Blew Up the NSC. Foreign Policy. Retrieved April 12, 2018.
- Wong, Kristina (August 12, 2018). McMaster ‘Detonated’ Over Memo that Warned of Political Warfare Effort Against Trump. Breitbart News. Retrieved April 12, 2018.
- Gertz, Bill (August 11, 2017). Fired NSC Aide Reveals Political Warfare Operation Targeting Trump. The Washington Free Beacon. Retrieved April 12, 2018.
- Wong, Kristina (September 18, 2017). Sebastian Gorka Discusses How the ‘Permanent State’ Is Undermining Trump. Breitbart News. Retrieved September 18, 2017.
- Re, Gregg (May 3, 2018). Deep state has 'weaponized' security clearances against Trump, conservative Pentagon official's lawyer says. Fox News. Retrieved May 3, 2018.
- Greenwald: Empowering the "Deep State" to Undermine Trump is Prescription for Destroying Democracy
- As Leaks Multiply, Fears of a ‘Deep State’ in America
- Bill Kristol Backs ‘Deep State’ over President Trump, Republican Government
- Shear, Michael D.; Schmidt, Michael S (March 4, 2017). Trump, Offering No Evidence, Says Obama Tapped His Phones. The New York Times. Retrieved March 6, 2017.
- Pollak, Joel B. (March 5, 2017). DeepStateGate: Democrats’ ‘Russian Hacking’ Conspiracy Theory Backfires. Breitbart. Retrieved March 6, 2017.
- Hayward, John (March 5, 2017). DeepStateGate: Trump Ends the Wiretapping Innuendo Game by Dealing Himself In. Breitbart. Retrieved March 5, 2017.
- Weber, Joseph (March 5, 2017). Trump calls for congressional probe into possible wiretapping of his campaign. Fox News. Retrieved March 6, 2017.
- Derespina, Cody (March 23, 2017). Trump basks in Nunes surveillance news: 'So that means I'm right'. Fox News. Retrieved March 23, 2017.
- Former Obama official discloses rush to get intelligence on Trump team. Fox News. March 29, 2017. Retrieved March 29, 2017.
- Poor, Jeff (March 29, 2017). Fmr Obama Official Reveals Pre-Inauguration Effort to Gather Intel on Incoming Trump Team. Breitbart News. Retrieved March 30, 2017.
- Bertrand, Natasha (January 24, 2017). A look at the scope of the intelligence community's investigations into Trump's ties to Russia. Business Insider. Retrieved April 1, 2017.
- McCabe, Neil W. (March 31, 2017). Fox News: Senior Obama Intelligence Official Unmasked Trump Associates. Breitbart News. Retrieved April 1, 2017.
- Lee, Tony (July 27, 2017). Harvard Poll: Nearly Two-Thirds Believe Campaign Exists to ‘Delegitimize’ Trump. Breitbart News. Retrieved August 1, 2017.
- Lee, Tony (July 26, 2017). Harvard Poll: Majority Believe Deep State Leaking to ‘Unseat’ Trump. Breitbart News. Retrieved August 1, 2017.
- Multiple references:
- Shelbourne, Mallory (March 19, 2018). Majority in new poll: 'Deep state' is manipulating policy. The Hill. Retrieved March 19, 2018.
- Nolte, John (March 19, 2018). Nolte — Media Fail: 60% Troubled by Deep State’s Public Policy Manipulation. Breitbart News. Retrieved March 19, 2018.
- Harper, Jennifer (March 19, 2018). 74% of Americans say the ‘deep state’ exists. The Washington Times. Retrieved March 19, 2018.
- Boyer, Dave (March 20, 2018). Majority of Americans believe ‘Deep State’ controls Washington: Poll. The Washington Times. Retrieved March 20, 2018.
- Jasper, William F. (April 25, 2017). Deep State and Fake News. The New American. Retrieved January 3, 2018.
- Jasper, William F. (February 10, 2018). Deep State-Fake News Marriage: CIA, NSA, FBI Operatives Join Media In Droves. The New American. Retrieved February 10, 2018.