Diego Rodríguez de Silva y Velázquez (June 6, 1599 - August 6, 1660). He was an important Spanish baroque painter of the 17th century. His paintings are of the royal family and scenes of daily life, as well as scenes based of Roman mythology.
Velázquez was the court painter of King Philip IV of Spain. In portraying the royal family, Velázquez generally painted a bust-length portrait from life, creating full-length versions. "Las Meninas" (1656, "Maids of Honor") is Velázquez's most important painting and his career ending work.
Velázquez married Juana Pacheco, the daughter of his teacher Francisco Pacheco.
- Manet/Velázquez: The French Taste for Spanish Painting The Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- VELÁZQUEZ Web Gallery of Art.
- Diego Velázquez - Biography Olga's Gallery.
- Diego Velazquez Jewels of Spain.
- Diego Velazquez The WebMuseum.
The Fable of Arachne