|!||This Is An Original Work.
Contributors should add their signatures to the end section. If published, a notice will be posted and, if desired, contributors will be recognized.
There are significant personal benefits to conservatism:
- it recognizes that ideas, and particularly political ideas, do have serious personal consequences
- it recognizes that politics and culture are adversarial and deceitful, and helps one filter the falsehoods
- it allows one to speak and think freely without distortion by political correctness
- it enables one to rise above his personal likes and dislikes
- it recognizes the importance of personal self-defense, mentally and physically
- it encourages a personal frugality that doesn't waste other people's money ... or one's own
- it encourages self-restraint that is invaluable in combating addiction, temptation, and obesity
- it encourages self-sufficiency and self-help rather than dependency
- it facilitates genuine personal charity, with all its spiritual benefits
- it is shared across all religions and cultures
- it facilitates extraordinary insights and epiphanies
- it helps tremendously in raising and educating the next generation, including one's own children
- it appreciates law and order, and the personal value in adhering to it
- it helps one to realize the potential of every human life
- it reinforces the ideal that if one works hard enough, he can be anything that he wants to be
- it encourages family values, mainly financial and emotional assistance within the family as opposed to a centralized beurocracy
- it instills a sense of pride in one's country, which is crucial to becoming a contributing member of its society
Feel free to improve this list.
- For example, a belief in legalized drugs can lead to drug use and its harm.
- Often a debate with a liberal comes down to what he likes and does not like.