Essay: Penn Jillette's refusal to accept my debate offer
On August 1, 2011, Penn Jillette released a contradictory video on his refusal to debate me, User: Conservative, concerning the existence of God. The debate offered was "Does God exist?". I will not link to the video as it contains profane language. A brief response to Jillette's video is given below.
First, Penn Jillette says he "can't really comment" on the debate offer and then proceeds to comment on the debate offer that he claims he did not read. Second, he then says as much as he would like to debate me, he claims he has an argument on why he will not me, but then quickly says it's a "stupid argument" (Jillette also says the dispute he has with Conservapedia "matters"). Penn Jillette says he won't debate me on the existence of God because he has friends who are Christians whom he loves/respects and he won't debate me because he doesn't believe I truly believe what I say about the existence of God (I might be an atheist and not a Christian he said), but on the other hand I might, but he needs to see more evidence of it (please see: Penn Jillette, here is the evidence you claim you need to debate me). Below, I provide the evidence Jillette requested, but given the weakness of atheism, I strongly suspect at this point Penn Jillette will soon come up with another excuse on why he won't debate me (or remain silent). However, I don't believe whatever excuses Jillette may offer are the real issue and the two sections below should settle this matter.
- 1 Penn Jillette, here is the evidence you claim you need to debate me
- 2 Penn Jillette's lack of formal debates with Bible believing Christians and upcoming deadline
- 3 Penn Jillette's false statement concerning a Conservapedia article
- 4 Additional information concerning Penn Jillette's dispute with Conservapedia
- 5 Atheist Richard Dawkins and debate
- 6 Penn Jillette, don't just stand there! Do something!
- 7 See also
- 8 External links
- 9 Notes
Penn Jillette, here is the evidence you claim you need to debate me
I, User: Conservative, the issuer of the debate challenge, largely created Conservapedia's atheism article which is approximately 53 written pages long and has over 300 footnotes. In addition, I largely created Conservapedia's evolution article which is approximately 45 written pages long and has over 300 footnotes.
Now that we have that cleared up, let the written debate of "Does God exist?" begin and I am giving you until November 20, 2011 to fully prepare mind and body for the debate so you are debating at "full atheist power" (please see: Conservapedia's challenge to atheist Penn Jillette). Given the weakness of atheism, I strongly suspect at this point you will soon come up with another excuse on why you won't debate me (or remain silent). However, as I mentioned above, I don't believe whatever excuses you may offer are the real issue and the section below should settle this matter.
The written debate will be between Penn Jillette and two atheists of his choosing and myself and two Christians of my choosing. I prefer written debates as I believe they offer the audience the maximum amount of information to render a decision. Oral debates are often subject to the participants' memories and also do not allow additional research to be done on particular points. (Please see: Conservapedia's challenge to atheist Penn Jillette).
Penn Jillette's lack of formal debates with Bible believing Christians and upcoming deadline
Previously, Conservapedia said "if Jillette declines to debate Conservapedia we certainly strongly encourage him to seek out the strongest Bible believer opponent who is willing to publicly debate him concerning the existence of God". Of course, it appears unlikely Penn Jillette will "seek out the strongest Bible believer opponent who is willing to publicly debate him concerning the existence of God" given the utter weakness of the atheist position and his contradictory and poor response to Conservapedia's debate offer concerning the existence of God. Conservapedia suggested that he hold such a debate by November 20, 2011 which he has yet to do so far (see: Conservapedia's challenge to atheist Penn Jillette).
Penn Jillette's false statement concerning a Conservapedia article
See also: Atheism and health
In addition, Penn Jillette made a false claim about Conservapedia's Atheism and obesity article which he claims he did not read. Specifically, Jillette claimed Conservapedia said that he is "a stupid atheist" because he is fat which Conservapedia never claimed.
Additional information concerning Penn Jillette's dispute with Conservapedia
- Conservapedia's challenge to atheist Penn Jillette
- Conservapedia's reply to atheist Penn Jillette
- Penn Jillette, don't just stand there! Do something!
- Question for Penn Jillette
Atheist Richard Dawkins and debate
On May 14, 2011, the British newspaper The Daily Telegraph published a news story entitled Richard Dawkins accused of cowardice for refusing to debate existence of God. In The Daily Telegraph article Dr. Daniel Came, a member of the Faculty of Philosophy at Oxford University was quoted as writing to fellow atheist Richard Dawkins concerning his refusal to debate Dr. William Lane Craig, "The absence of a debate with the foremost apologist for Christian theism is a glaring omission on your CV and is of course apt to be interpreted as cowardice on your part." In addition, Christian apologist Mariano Grinbank called Dawkins a "cowardly clown" for his refusal to debate Creation Ministries International at the 2010 Global Atheist Convention.
Penn Jillette, don't just stand there! Do something!
The American Spectator declared:
|“||The report estimates about 80,000 new Christians every day, 79,000 new Muslims every day, and 300 fewer atheists every day. These atheists are presumably disproportionately represented in the West, while religion is thriving in the Global South, where charismatic Christianity is exploding."||”|
Penn Jillette, when are you going to show that you believe that atheism is a respectable intellectual position through a debate? Don't just stand there Jillette! Do something! Atheism is rather sickly now in terms of its "growth". In fact, atheism is in global decline.
- Evidence for Christianity
- Resources for leaving atheism and becoming a Christian
- Atheism and Debate
- Instances of Richard Dawkins ducking debates
- Theory of Evolution and Cases of Fraud, Hoaxes and Speculation
- Atheism and deception
- Irreligion and superstition
- Creation scientists tend to win the creation vs. evolution debates
- Atheism and health
- Atheism and obesity
Satire and comedy articles:
- This year's best atheist debaters - satire
- Penn Jillette's walrus slide vs. thin Christian lady dancers - satire
- Indian Christian culture is better than low class atheist "culture" - satire
- Does Richard Dawkins have machismo? - satire
- Comedy and satires concerning atheism and evolution (large collection of comedy/satire concerning atheism and evolution)
- Conservapedia challenges atheist Penn Jillette to debate - YouTube video
- Atheist Penn Jillete - new magic trick - turns himself into a chicken - YouTube video
- Atheist Penn Jillette being called coward by atheists
- Blogs say Penn Jillettes refusal to debate "smacks of cowardice"
- Richard Dawkins accused of cowardice for refusing to debate existence of God, The Daily Telegraph, May 14, 2011
- Richard Dawkins, the Cowardly Clown