Essay: Where was Sam Harris when the New Atheists needed him?
Sam Harris is one of the founders of the New Atheism movement. Dr. Harris received a Ph.D. in neuroscience from University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) and is also a graduate in philosophy from Stanford University.
The term New Atheism which first appeared in the November 2006 edition of Wired magazine, is frequently applied to a series of six best-selling books by five authors that appeared in the period between 2004–2008. These authors include Sam Harris, Daniel Dennett, Richard Dawkins, Victor J. Stenger and Christopher Hitchens. The four most prominent writers of the New Atheist movement are Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens and Daniel Dennett.
3 out of 5 founders of the New Atheism movement have had issues with being overweight
Hey neuroscientist Sam Harris! I hope you know that excess weight impairs brain function!
Some of the medical conditions associated with obesity include: type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and triglycerides, coronary artery disease (CAD), stroke, arthritis, cancer, sleep apnea, reproductive problems in women and varicose veins. In addition, medical science research indicates that excess weight impairs brain function.
According to the Mayo Clinic some of the symptoms associated with obesity can include:
Concerning the issue of depression, atheists do have higher rates of suicide than the general population.
- 1 3 out of 5 founders of the New Atheism movement have had issues with being overweight
- 2 Hey neuroscientist Sam Harris! I hope you know that excess weight impairs brain function!
- 3 Dr. Harris, I hoped you pleaded with them to lose some weight!
- 4 Sam Harris claims atheist is right next to child molester as a designation
- 5 Atheism, pederasty and NAMBLA
- 6 Running away from the stigma of atheism
- 7 Richard Dawkins, obesity has enveloped your marketing campaign!
- 8 Evolutionists who have had problems with being overweight and/or obese
- 9 Overcoming obesity
- 10 Obese atheists and overweight atheists comedy and satire
- 11 See also
- 12 External links
- 13 Notes
Dr. Harris, I hoped you pleaded with them to lose some weight!
See also: Atheism and obesity
Dr. Harris, I certainly hoped you pleaded with the overweight New Atheists founders to lose some weight! I do know that leadership is by example and if you pleaded I hope it was quite strongly. You certainly don't want overweight New Atheist leaders serving as role models to the atheist community and encourage atheists to lead lives contrary to the recommendations of medical science.
Did you ever orchestrate a overweight New atheism founders intervention? Did you speak out publicly about the significant number of New Atheism founders who were overweight?
The reason I asks these questions is as of December 28, 2010 the pictures of the members of the American Atheists organization's board of directors showed a significant portion of its members having excess body weight.  The pictures of the American Atheists board of directors can be found HERE.
Dr. Harris there does appear to be a significant problem with obesity within the Western atheist community - especially when you compare them with the very religious. Please see Atheism and obesity for details.
Sam Harris claims atheist is right next to child molester as a designation
Atheism is a social stigma in many Western societies and obesity is as well. For example, in the United States, obese people are often stereotyped as being "lazy, lacking self-discipline and being mentally slow". Of course, if atheist obesity could be avoided by some through simple dietary and exercise changes, this could cause a lot less heartache and disappointment to parents who not only have an atheist son or daughter, but suffer the double indignity of having son or daughter who is both obese and an atheist. Dr. Harris is quite aware of the stigma surrounding atheism and has even advocated that atheists no longer call themselves atheists. In fact, Dr. Harris has said concerning the label of atheist, "It's right next to child molester as a designation."
Atheism, pederasty and NAMBLA
see also: Atheism, pederasty and NAMBLA
Some of the well known atheist advocates of the North American Man/Boy Love Association (NAMBLA) are:
2. Harry Hay (1912 - 2002) was an liberal advocate of statutory rape and the widely acknowledged founder and progenitor of the activist homosexual agenda in the United States. Hay joined the Communist Party of the United States (CPUSA) in 1934.  Harry Hay was an atheist. He was a vociferous advocate of man/boy love.  In 1986, Hay marched in a gay parade wearing a shirt emblazoned with the words "NAMBLA walks with me."
John Maynard Keynes and pederasty
see also: John Maynard Keynes and pederasty
John Maynard Keynes was the founder of Keynesian economics. Lytton Strachey, his male bed partner, wrote that Keynes was a “A liberal and a sodomite, An atheist and a statistician.” Keynes and his friends made numerous trips to the resorts surrounding the Mediterranean. At the resorts, little boys were sold by their families to bordellos which catered to homosexuals. In his work The Cambridge Apostles, 1820-1914: Liberalism, Imagination, and Friendship in British Intellectual and Professional Life, William C. Lubenow expresses the opinion that Keynes was an agnostic.
Running away from the stigma of atheism
As noted earlier, Sam Harris tells atheists don't call yourself an atheist! Well, I guess that is one way to run away from the well earned stigma of atheism that atheists have caused to fall upon themselves (please see: atheism and mass murder and atheism and deception and atheism and suicide and atheism and morality). Call yourself a former Baptist or former Anglican! If people probe further, just run away!
Richard Dawkins, obesity has enveloped your marketing campaign!
Evolutionists who have had problems with being overweight and/or obese
See also: Professor PZ Myers fails applied biology
A list of evolutionists who who have had problems with being overweight and/or obese can be found here:
Perhaps, if more overweight atheists evolved a backbone and took the recommendations of medical science and exercise science more seriously, clinical trials could be run by Dr. Harris to help atheists find better ways to wrestle themselves from the clutches of obesity.
Sometimes high intelligence (or former high intelligence that has been impaired by having excess weight) and having simple and effective methods to lose weight is not enough to escape the jaws of obesity. Often, it takes self-discipline as well. This can be frustrating to many overweight atheists especially when they hear taunts such as: If your so smart Mr. Atheist, then why are you so fat?
On the other hand, besetting sins such as gluttony, sloth, homosexuality and drug addiction can certainly be more effectively conquered with the assistance of Christian faith, self-discipline and of course through diet and exercise well. Peter LaBarbera is the President of Americans for Truth which is an organization which counters the homosexual agenda. Peter LaBarbera declared concerning Christian ex-homosexuals who reported being transformed by the power of God:
|“||Another factor from my experience as a close observer of the “ex-gay” phenomenon is that many former homosexuals do not linger in “reparative therapy” programs, or participate in them at all. They attribute their dramatic and (relatively) rapid transformation to the power of God, and likely would not show up in a study of this kind. In fact, these “unstudied” overcomers would appear to be the most successful ex-homosexuals because they’ve moved on with their lives — as “reborn” Christians move on after overcoming any besetting sin.||”|
In 1980 a study was published in the American Journal of Psychiatry and eleven men participated in a study about men overcoming homosexuality. The American Journal of Psychiatry stated that eleven homosexual men became heterosexuals "without explicit treatment and/or long-term psychotherapy" through their participation in a Pentecostal church. The results of this study are not surprising since Christian faith has shown itself to be effective in combating drug addiction. For example, Christian group Teen Challenge reported the following:
|“||Teen Challenge claims of a 70% cure rate for the drug addicts graduating from their program attracted the attention of the U.S. Federal Government in 1973. Most secular drug rehabilitation programs only experienced a cure rate of 1-15% of their graduates. The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), part of the U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, funded the first year of this study to evaluate the long term results of the Teen Challenge program.||”|
Teen Challenge has a number of studies that indicate the high effectiveness of their drug treatment program compared to other programs.
On December 11, 2001, the prestigious Mayo Clinic reported:
|“|| In an article also published in this issue of Mayo Clinic Proceedings, Mayo Clinic researchers reviewed published studies, meta-analyses, systematic reviews and subject reviews that examined the association between religious involvement and spirituality and physical health, mental health, health-related quality of life and other health outcomes.
The authors report a majority of the nearly 350 studies of physical health and 850 studies of mental health that have used religious and spiritual variables have found that religious involvement and spirituality are associated with better health outcomes.
Obese atheists and overweight atheists comedy and satire
- Prominent atheists weighed on the scales and found wanting - satire
- Professor PZ Myers fails his applied biology course - satire
- Western atheists sumo wrestling - survival of the fattest? - satire
- Obese atheists, you can't run and you can't hide! - satire
- PZ Myers embarrasses himself at the Creation Museum - satire
- If you're so smart PZ Myers, then why are you so fat? - satire
- Comedy and satires concerning atheism and evolution (large collection of comedy/satire concerning atheism and evolution)
- A reply to atheist and evolutionist PZ Myers - satire
- Obese atheist pet owners - satire
- Slim atheists' convention - satire
- Obese atheists heaven - satire
- Overweight atheists comedy and satire
- Resources for leaving atheism and becoming a Christian
- Evidence for Christianity
- Psychology, obesity, religiosity and atheism
- Atheism and Mental and Physical Health
- Atheism and suicide
- Obesity Linked to Changes In Cognitive Patterns
- As Waistlines Widen, Brains Shrink
- Body-mass index and mortality among 1.46 million white adults
- Edgell, Gerteis & Hartmann 2006
- The Boston Phoenix, The real Harry Hay, Michael Bronski, October 31 - November 7, 2002.
- The American Spectator Special Report, When Nancy Met Harry, Jeffrey Lord, 10/5/2006.
- Samuel R. Delaney, About writing: seven essays, four letters, and five interviews, page 36
- Delany, Samuel R.; Freedman, Carl (2009). Conversations with Samuel R. Delany. Univ. Press of Mississippi, page 143
- The Cambridge Apostles, 1820-1914: Liberalism, Imagination, and Friendship in British Intellectual and Professional Life, 1998, Cambridge University Press, page 402
- E.M. Pattison and M.L. Pattison, "'Ex-Gays': Religiously Mediated Change in Homosexuals," American Journal of Psychiatry, Vol. 137, pp. 1553-1562, 1980