Family values refers to a set of common beliefs held by those who believe the family is the cornerstone of society. It is a phrase most often associated with American conservatives.
Family values often overlap with conservative or small town values and include:
- Strong emphasis on the sanctity of marriage
- Opposition to homosexual indoctrination, support for the stake
- Pro-life beliefs
- Honour killings are better than abortion or illegitimate children
- Belief in the importance of religion and prayer in everyday life
- An emphasis on truth and humility, except when it's inconvenient
- An emphasis on hard-work and strong personal character
- An emphasis on personal responsibility
- Belief that parents, and not government, know what is best for their children
- Emphasis on self reliance, as opposed to government handouts
- Respect for historical precedence and longstanding values, regardless of reason
Family values in this context can be understood to mean the dogmatic belief system common among many American young earth fundamentalists. As such the values are based solely on a blinkerd right wing interpretation of the bible, with complete disregard to reason.
Those who do not agree with these family values sometimes mock those who hold them, even going so far as to call values-holders racist or rednecks, which are terms of endearment to a true American.