|Nickname||Crossroads of America|
|Governor||Mitch Daniels, R|
|Senator||Joe Donnelly, D |
(202) (202) 224-4814
|Senator||Dan Coats, R |
|Ratification of Constitution/or statehood||December 11, 1816 (19th)|
|Motto: "The Crossroads of America"|
Indiana was the nineteenth state to enter the union. Nicknamed "The Hoosier State", is encompasses a geographical area of 36,291 square miles (38th in size among United States), and has a population of 6,195,643, according to a 2003 census. Its capital and largest city is Indianapolis. Indiana is bordered by Ohio, Kentucky, Illinois, and Michigan.
Indiana is recognized as the 'Limestone capital of the world' with more limestone quarried from the state than anywhere else in the world.
- Sen. Richard Lugar (R)
- Sen. Dan Coats (R)
- Rep. Pete Visclosky [D, IN-1]
- Rep. Joe Donnelly [D, IN-02]
- Rep. Marlin Stutzman [R, IN-03]
- Rep. Todd Rokita [R, IN-04]
- Rep. Dan Burton [R, IN-05]
- Rep. Mike Pence [R, IN-06]
- Rep. Andre Carson [D, IN-07]
- Rep. Larry Bucshon [R, IN-08]
- Rep. Todd Young [R, IN-09]
- Governor Mitch Daniels (R)
- Lt. Governor Becky Skillman (R)
- Attorney General Greg Zoeller (R)
- Secretary of State Charlie White (R)
- State Auditor Tim Berry (R)
- State Treasurer Richard Mourdock (R)
Notable people from Indiana
- Hoagy Carmichael, Songwriter
- Jim Davis, Creator of Garfield the Cat
- Eugene V Debs, 5-timr Socialist presidential candidate was based in terre Haute
- Orville Redenbacher, Popcorn Magnate
- Steve McQueen, Actor
- James Dean, Actor
- Karl Malden, Actor
- Kurt Vonnegut, Novelist
- Lew Wallace, Civil War General, Author ( Ben Hur )
- Wendell Willkie, GOP presidential candidate 1940.
- Alfred Kinsey, Sexual behavior researcher was based at Indiana University, Bloomington
- Senator Evan Bayh, also a former governer; he is the son of former Senator Birch Bayh
- Astronaut Gus Grissom was born in Mitchell.
- Former President Benjamin Harrison lived in Indianapolis and represented Indiana as a Senator.
- William Henry Harrison, a former President and the grandfather of Benjamin Harrison, was the first governor of Indiana territory.
- Singer Michael Jackson is from Gary.
- Comedian David Letterman was born in Indianapolis.
- Mike Pence is a current Republican member of the US House of Representatives from Indiana and has been mentioned a possible candidate for the presidency.
- Former Vice President Dan Quayle was born in Indianapolis and represented the states in the House and Senate.
- Harland David Sanders (also known as Colonel Sanders), founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken, was born in Henryville.
- H-Indiana, a daily e-mail-based discussion list sponsored by the Indiana Historical Society and H-Net, and edited by experts. The list commissionms reviews of newe books and brings together academics, history professionals, activists in local historical societies and anyone interested in the state's history to exchange ideas and foster discussion on Indiana's history and culture. They communicate current research and research interests; discuss new articles, books, papers, methods, and tools of analysis; and announce upcoming conferences and events related to Indiana history. Subscriptions are free, and the complete logs of back issues are available online from its founding in February 1998.
- Boomhower, Ray E.; Jones, Darryl, photog. Destination Indiana: Travels through Hoosier History.2000. 203 pp.
- Gray, Ralph D., comp., ed. Indiana History: A Book of Readings. 1995. 442 pp. articles by scholars
- Madison, James H. The Indiana Way: A State History (1990) excerpt and text search
- Peckham, Howard H. Indiana: A History (2003) excerpt and text search
- Reese, William J. Hoosier Schools: Past and Present (1998) excerpt and text search
- Rudolph, L. C. Hoosier Faiths: A History of Indiana's Churches and Religious Groups. 1995. 710 pp.
- Skertic, Mark, and John J. Watkins. A Native's Guide to Northwest Indiana (2003) excerpt and text search
- Taylor, Robert M., Jr. and McBirney, Connie A., ed. Peopling Indiana: The Ethnic Experience. 1996. 703 pp. covers every major ethnic group
- Taylor, Robert M. ed. The State of Indiana History 2000: Papers Presented at the Indiana Historical Society's Grand Opening (2001) excerpt and text search
- Vanausdall, Jeanette. Pride and Protest: The Novel in Indiana. 1999. 169 pp.
- Bigham, Darrel E., ed. The Indiana Territory, 1800-2000: A Bicentennial Perspective. 2001. 196 pp.
- Buley, R. Carlyle.
- Carmony, Donald Francis. Indiana, 1816 to 1850: The Pioneer Era (1998), 924 pp excerpt and text search, standard scholarly history
- Cayton, Andrew R. L. Frontier Indiana. 1996. 340 pp. , standard scholarly history
- Giffin, William W. The Irish: Peopling Indiana. 2006. 127 pp.
- Kellar, James H. Introduction to the Prehistory of Indiana (1983) excerpt and text search
- Mills, Randy K. Jonathan Jennings: Indiana's First Governor. 2005. 259 pp.
- Simons, Richard S. and Parker, Francis H., ed. Railroads of Indiana. 1997. 297 pp.
- Stampp, Kenneth M. Indiana Politics during the Civil War )1949) online edition
- Barrows, Robert G. Albion Fellows Bacon: Indiana's Municipal Housekeeper. 2000. 229 pp.
- Fadely, James Philip. Thomas Taggart: Public Servant, Political Boss, 1856-1929. 1997. 267 pp.
- Madison, James H. Indiana through Tradition and Change: A History of the Hoosier State and Its People, 1920-1945 (1982) excerpt and text search, , standard scholarly history
- Phillips, Clifton J. Indiana in Transition: The Emergence of an Industrial Commonwealth, 1880-1920 (1968), standard scholarly history
- Rund, Christopher. The Indiana Rail Road Company: America's New Regional Railroad. 2006. 254 pp.
- Thornbrough, Emma Lou. Indiana Blacks in the Twentieth Century. Indiana U. Press, 2000. 287 pp.
- Whitford, Frederick and Martin, Andrew G. The Grand Old Man of Purdue University and Indiana Agriculture: A Biography of William Carroll Latta. Purdue U. Press, 2005. 385 pp.
- Bowen, Otis R. and DuBois, William, Jr. Doc: Memories from a Life in Public Service. 2000. 232 pp. Bowen was Governor 1972-80
- Streightoff, Frances Doan. Indiana: A Social and Economic Survey (1916) full text online
- Taylor, ed. Robert M. Indiana: A New Historical Guide (1990), highly detailed guide to citiies and recent history
- WPA Indiana Writer's Project. Indiana: A Guide To The Hoosier State: American Guide Series (1941), famous WPA Guide to every location; strong on history, architecture and culture; reprinted 1973; online edition