The Five Pillars of Islam are:
1. To have submit to the one god, Allah, whose prophet was Muhammad.
2. Pray to Allah five times each day while facing Mecca.
3. Fast during daylight hours for the entire month of Ramadan. No food is eaten in that month during daylight hours. Fasting strengthens the body and soul.
4. Almsgiving: this means Muslims must donate to the poor.
5. A Muslim must take a Hajj or pilgrimage at least once during his lifetime to Mecca where Muhammad himself made a hajj from A.D. 629 to 632.