Lafayette is a city in southern Louisiana, the seat of government for Lafayette Parish, located on the Vermilion River. It is particularly known for its petroleum industry, Cajun cooking and music, and friendly people.
The fourth largest city in the state, Lafayette had a 2015 census population estimate of 127,657. Lafayette is called a "Hub City" because its extended area of commerce includes Opelousas and Morgan City, with a combined population of 627,146 in 2015.
- Jean-Paul Coussan, current state representative for District 45
- Charles and Virginia de Gravelles, Republican politicians
- Kevin Faulk, running back for the New England Patriots
- Bobby John, businessman, co-founder of J&J Exterminating Company
- John L. Loos, Louisiana State University historian; retired to Lafayette
- Hall M. Lyons, businessman and politician
- Roderick Miller, former state representative
- Gus Weill, political consultant and author