"Pyroterrorism" or "Pyro-Terrorism" is the act of setting fire to large amounts of land and/or property for political reasons, usually in a systematic or random approach in order to escape capture from authorities. The purpose of pyroterrorism is to destroy a particular country or region's local economy and kill innocent civilians in a way that prevents the would be arsonist from being easily identified or captured.
In ancient times pyroterrorism was used as a war tactic to raze crops and destroy an enemy's ability to feed themselves, thus weakening the foe.
The topic of pyroterrorism has received very little media attention except in countries like Australia, Lebanon, Greece and most recently in California , but some believe that pyroterrorism presents a very serious threat to the United States.
- Pyroterrorism in California, checked August 27th 2007.
- Suspicious fires destroy forests in northern Lebanon, Middle East News, checked October 27th 2007.
- Fires in Greece may be considered Pyroterrorism, Guardian Unlimited, checked August 27th 2007
- The Wild Fires of Pyro Terrorism, checked October 27th 2007.
- Pyro-Terrorism - The Threat of Arson-Induced Forest Fires as a Future Terrorist Weapon of Mass Destruction, checked October 27th 2007.