Unlock this so we can edit it. Televangelist 13:33, 26 October 2007 (EDT)
- Gay people are full of or show high-spirited merriment, or are given to social pleasures often including dissipation: "led a gay Bohemian life"; "a gay old rogue with an eye for the ladies"
- "when hearts were young and gay""- Wordsworth
- "a poet could not but be gay, in such a jocund company"- Wordsworth
- Things that are brightly colored and showy may be described as gay: "a dress a bit too gay for her years"; "birds with gay plumage".
- I can't for the love of God figure why this page is redirected to an article about depraved perversity.
- Auld Nick 07:04, 21 May 2007 (EDT)
LOL. You people....
There is no single "gay lifestyle". There are gays who practice a promiscuous lifestyle, but there are substantially more who form healthy, committed, monogamous relationships. There are many, many heterosexuals who have affairs and lead immoral, promiscuous lives, but somehow this goes unnoticed. The belief that homosexuality is associated with a promiscuous lifestyle is no more than a stigma conferred upon them by a majority of straight people, who, refusing to admit that they are not entirely innocent, project their feelings of guilt and worthlessness on homosexuals. - awrootbeer1
basic dictionary meaning?
Surely this article should say that the original basic dictionary meaning (and indeed the common meaning until reltively recently) was simply merry ("happily excited, keenly alive and exuberant, having or inducing high spirits," according to my little Merriam-Webster) - and that the word has only recently become synonymous with homosexual (having begun, if I read it right, to gather connotations of licentiousness sometime around the late 19th or early 20th century). Seems to me there is a danger of misleading readers of the article if this is not clearly explained. Any young person reading Shakespeare or 19th-century literature is likely to misunderstand the word "gay", and putting that possible misreading right would surely be a service that this encyclopedia should perform. And what's this stuff about "a crush". Not in my dictionary as a meaning of "gay", nor in my vocabulary! Humblpi 13:11, 17 February 2008 (EST)
I wish to add information about gays in Korea, so please to unlock. Thank you.--Pakhyongshin 23:23, 7 August 2008 (EDT)