Talk:Mystery:Did a Fake Fidel Castro Meet the Pope?
Castro was well known to have body doubles available in case of an emergency. Seeing as he was in such poor health a few years ago, and is now well enough to see the Pope, it is only logical to conclude that it probably isn't the same guy. http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2010/07/12/dead-castros-body-double-looking-moderately-healthy/
OllieB 20:29, 28 March 2012 (EDT)
- The beard in the photos released today for the purported Fidel Castro is also slightly different from Castro's.--Andy Schlafly 20:36, 28 March 2012 (EDT)
- So you can't think of any seriously ill person who recovered somewhat in a mere six years? Sorry, this is daft. What evidence would it take to convince some people that Castro is still alive? Is there anything that won't be dismissed as a fake?
- People can shrink several inches as they age, by the way. Castro was 6'3" when he was young; Ratzinger is 5'7" NOW. And my beard is slightly different to how it was last week because I trimmed it on Saturday, like I do every week, to look smart in church. --SamCoulter 20:40, 28 March 2012 (EDT)
- Actually, the Pope would have shrunk by more than Castro, I think. And do you think the shape of a nose changes from sloping slightly upward to sloping downward in just a few years?!--Andy Schlafly 20:42, 28 March 2012 (EDT)
- What I think is that the nose in these photos is exactly the same shape as the nose in a 2003 photo of Castro. As for the pope, as I said he is 5'7" now. --SamCoulter 20:46, 28 March 2012 (EDT)
- Castro has a long history of using body doubles. It is unlikely that Havana would simply stop using them once he died. Or perhaps you think that the Cuban government wants Castro-lookalikes roaming the streets of Havana! Ridiculous! OllieB 20:50, 28 March 2012 (EDT)
- I don't see why not. The main reason that dictators use body doubles is to hide their movements or act as a decoy for potential assassins. Neither of these uses is much help to a dead man. The fact is that there is no evidence whatsoever that Castro is dead, but multiple photos and videos of him and records of several meetings in the last two years with individuals including the pope and the president of Brazil. Sure, they could all be body doubles, but you can say the same for anyone. Actors also use body doubles. I can claim right now that Clint Eastwood died in 1968 and every appearance by him since then has really been a body double. By your criteria, how are you going to disprove it? --SamCoulter 20:55, 28 March 2012 (EDT)
- If you display a photo of a man a half-foot shorter than Clint Eastwood with a differently shaped nose, and lacking in other facial features, as the Miami Herald just published with respect to the alleged Fidel Castro, then that would disprove it. Surely you're not claiming that photo identification is impossible.--Andy Schlafly 21:58, 28 March 2012 (EDT)
- I don't see this difference in nose shape you're talking about and in the photos it's clear that Castro is several inches taller than Ratzinger. I've checked several photos of Castro and his various facial markings look identical to those in the latest photos. In any case there's no evidence that Castro is dead and I don't understand your insistence that he is. --SamCoulter 23:13, 28 March 2012 (EDT)
- The man in the picture looks like Fidel Castro to me. He seems quite hunched over, which would explain why he doesn't tower over the pope.
- Additionally, it must be quite hard to find a lookalike for an 80-year-old. Cuba is not a large or wealthy country, so how many 80-year-olds could they possibly have to choose from? The probability that they would have a plausible Castro lookalike capable of fooling the pope and his retinue seems low to me - perhaps less than 1%.--CPalmer 06:49, 29 March 2012 (EDT)
Straight from Weekly World News
Could a communistic state pull such a stunt? Maybe. But there are many obstacles:
- How many conspirators are there? Nurses, doctors, make-up artists etc.
- You give power to a random character, something dictators don't like very much. And you allow this character to meet the pope!
Aschlafly, this claim is as sane as the claim that Elvis is ALIVE!!!1!1! - and your case isn't any more convincing! In fact, you are looking like a lunatic quoting from Weekly World News. You had a hunch, and no reasonable evidence in the world will change your position! What does this say about your open-mindedness? This is almost as bad as your stance against physical reality at E=mc².
AugustO 07:58, 29 March 2012 (EDT)
To me Castro looks significantly taller, easily the difference between 6'3" and 5'7". Look at the picture of both men seated: http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/2012/03/28/15/16/86-OZ0Nk.St.55.jpg . The standing photos are consistent with tall older men whose posture begins to deteriorate. I can't speak to the other inconsistencies but I think we should be wary of confirmation bias.KingHanksley 12:36, 29 March 2012 (EDT)