World Health Organization
When diplomats met to form the UN in 1945, one of the issues they addressed was the establishment of a global health organization. The WHO came into existence on April 7, 1948. April 7 is celebrated annually as World Health Day.
Dr. Margaret Chan is the current Director-General of the WHO since November 2006.
Neil Seeman, the director of the Canadian Statistical Assessment Service, said May 3, 2003, "Just because a study or pronouncement carries the imprimatur of the WHO should not mean it is sacrosanct," about the WHO. Philip Stevens wrote in December 2005, "[t]he World Health Organization is increasingly working against American values and the interests of the poor, [and] the U.S. should seriously consider cutting back the funds until the WHO adopts a more practical outlook."
- Official website
- Library database (WHOLIS) Index of all WHO publications from 1948 onwards and articles from WHO-produced journals and technical documents from 1985 to the present.
- Bulletin of the World Health Organization The International Journal of Public Health
- World Health Report First published in 1995, each year the report combines an expert assessment of global health, including statistics relating to all countries
- About WHO World Health Organization Accessed July 16 2007
- Dr Margaret Chan
- http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-seeman050103.asp WHO Says What?
- http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/stevens200512020821.asp WHO’s in Charge?