Atheism and animal abuse
Below are some articles related to Atheism and animal abuse:
- Atheists and dog meat eating (Dog meat slaughtering in countries with state atheism is known for its brutality.)
- Cat meat trade in Vietnam (The cat meat trade in communist Vietnam is known for its barbarity.)
Atheism, psychopathy and animal abuse
A psychopath is someone with an anti-social personality disorder characterized by violent, perverted or immoral behavior often leading to criminality. Psychopaths have little or no concern for other people. Some psychopaths equate love with sexual arousal.
A 2016 study relating to atheism and psychopathy published in Plus One indicates:
|“|| Similarly, a survey of 312 college students examining the relationship between Religious/Spiritual Well-Being (RSWB) and ‘dark triad’ personality traits found that “RSWB was confirmed to be negatively correlated with these negative aspects of personality, in particular with subclinical psychopathy.”
...moral concern is associated with a spiritual worldview.
According to the 2014 journal article Correlates of psychopathic personality traits in everyday life: results from a large community survey published in the journal Frontiers of Psychology lack of belief in God is positively associated with psychopathy.
For additional information, please see: Atheism and psychopathy
Animal abuse and psychopathy
Mark D. Griffiths Ph.D. wrote in Psychology Today:
|“||Studies carried out by Dr. Phillip Kavanagh and his colleagues have examined the relationship between the three Dark Triad personality traits and attitudes towards animal abuse and self-reported acts of animal cruelty. They found that the psychopathy trait is related to intentionally hurting or torturing animals, and was also a composite measure of all three Dark Triad traits.||”|
Atheism, women and the animal rights movement
Kosher meat slaughtering methods and the priorization of animal welfare
- Jewish and Muslim methods of slaughter prioritise animal welfare Jewish and Muslim methods of slaughter prioritise animal welfare by Shuja Shafi and Jonathan Arkush, The Guardian, March 6, 2014
Christianized world and dog/cat meat eating
In the Christianized world (or countries that have a Christian legacy), where Christians make up the majority of the population, dog/cat eating is not common.
- Chinese Dog Meat Festival | Undercover Cameras Reveal Brutality, ABC News
- China's Dog Meat Festival, The New York Times
- Dining on Dogs in Yulin: VICE Reports
- The cruel dog meat and fur trade in China - ANIMAL Equality investigation - video
- Stealing pet dogs for meat in Vietnam
Cat meat trade in China and Vietnam:
- *Chinese Dog Meat Festival | Undercover Cameras Reveal Brutality Chinese Dog Meat Festival | Undercover Cameras Reveal Brutality, ABC News, YouTube
- For the love of dog, South China Morning Post, 2015
- Animal Welfare Debate Is Alive and Well in Vietnam. Huffington Post, 2015
- Now Kim Jong-un wants North Koreans to eat DOG for 'stamina food', Express, August 16, 2016
- 375 cats saved from Chinese slaughterhouse after tip-off from heartbroken cat lover, Humane Society International website
- The cat meat trade in China, Daily Mail
- DROWNED LIKE RATS Gruesome pictures show a cat meat market in Vietnam where terrified pets are caged, killed and cooked, The Sun, March 2018
- Inside a sickening cat meat market: Photos reveal the horror of barbaric cat trade, Express, 2018
- The Chinese Government Must Stop Pet Dogs Being Stolen For Meat by JERRY GADIANO, Unilad website
- Chinese Dog Meat Festival | Undercover Cameras Reveal Brutality Chinese Dog Meat Festival | Undercover Cameras Reveal Brutality, ABC News, YouTube
- *Top 50 Countries With Highest Proportion of Atheists / Agnostics (Zuckerman, 2005)*A surprising map of where the world’s atheists live, Washington Post By Max Fisher and Caitlin Dewey May 23, 2013
- Robert D. Hare (2011). Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us. Guilford Press, 52. ISBN 978-16062-35782.
- Why Do You Believe in God? Relationships between Religious Belief, Analytic Thinking, Mentalizing and Moral Concern by Anthony Ian Jack , Jared Parker Friedman, Richard Eleftherios Boyatzis, Scott Nolan Taylor, Plus One, March 23, 2016
- Correlates of psychopathic personality traits in everyday life: results from a large community survey by Scott O. Lilienfeld, Robert D. Latzman, Ashley L. Watts, Sarah F. Smith, and Kevin Dutton, Frontiers of Psychology, 2014
- [The Psychology of Animal Torture] by Mark D. Griffiths Ph.D., Psychology Today, Nov 23, 2016