Religious Philippines winning streak in the major international beauty pageants
The English anthropologist Edward Dutton indicates that using right-wing politics as a proxy for religiosity, there is evidence that atheists are less attractive and he pointed out that right-wing politicians are more likely to have symmetrical faces according to a study. See also: Atheists and physical attractiveness
Beauty pageants are very popular in the Philippines and they have had a winning streak in major beauty pageants.
Katrina Escalona wrote in her article Why The Philippines Dominates World Beauty Pageants
|“||The Philippines has, rather consistently, held an exemplary track record in the world of pageants, always making it to the top 10, at the very least. Since the commencement of the Miss Earth pageants in 2001 for example, only thrice did the country fail to make it to the top 10. And in the Miss Universe pageants, held to be the most prestigious of the Big Four, the Philippines has placed without fail since 2010. Venus Raj (2010), Shamcey Supsup (2011), Janine Tugonon (2012), and Arielle Arida (2013) in particular, made a proud nation when they were crowned runners up year after year. And to the thrill of millions of Filipinos, in 2015, the country finally took home the crown.||”|
In 2015/2017, the Philippines had the most wins in the Big Four International Beauty Pageants. The Big Four consists of the four major international beauty pageants for women – Miss World, Miss Universe, Miss International and Miss Earth. The group was first described by the China Daily newspaper in 2004 as "the world's four major beauty contests".
ABS CBN News reported in the article How PH became the top beauty pageant country in the world: "
|“||In 2016, Philippines garnered 106.02 points from the five major beauty pageants worldwide. This after the Philippines won Miss International, was first runner-up at Miss Grand International, finalists at Miss World and Miss Universe, and a quarter-finalist at Miss Supranational. Venezuela came in at second with 100.00 points.||”|
In 2013, the Philippines was the first country to win all the top 5 international beauty pageants.
First Filipina to win an international beauty contest and its effect on the Philippines
According to The Straits Times:
|“|| In 1969, the first man landed on the moon. But something else made that year even more magical for Filipinos.
That year, an 18-year-old Filipina - Ms Gloria Diaz - was crowned the most beautiful woman on the planet.
Since then, the Philippines has followed beauty pageants as wildly and passionately as some nations follow the World Cup.
It has pageants everywhere.
The country has over 40,000 barangays - local districts, each roughly the equivalent of a kampung - and every one has its own beauty queen.
- Beauty Pageant Power House - video
- Defending Atheist Mutational Load Theory — Part 2 by Scott A. McGreal MSc., Psychology Today, June 22, 2018
- Irreligion in the Philippines, July 2018, "Irreligion in the Philippines is particularly rare among Filipinos...".
- Assignment Asia: The Philippines' beauty pageant obsession
- Why The Philippines Dominates World Beauty Pageants by Katrina Escalona, Culture Trip website
- Philippines is Now the No. 1 Beauty Pageant Country in the World, Venezuela Drops to 2nd Place
- Top 17 Countries With The Most Beautiful Women In The World
- Chunyan, Zhang (13 November 2007). "2007地球小姐新鲜出炉加拿大佳丽夺冠 - China Daily".
- How PH became the top beauty pageant country in the world, ABS CBN News
- Philippines first to win all five int’l beauty pageants
- List of Filipino beauty pageant winners
- Philippines at major beauty pageants
- Understanding the Philippines' unhealthy obsession with beauty, The Straights Times by Raul Dancel, Jan 2, 2016