The portable and "can-do" nature of Amateur Radio has meant that Amateurs have often been first-responders during or just after major disasters, establishing links using procedures tested during regular "field days" or emergency exercises.
The [[International Space Station]] has an extensive suite of Amateur Radio equipment, as did the Russian MIR spacecraft. Most cosmonauts and astronauts are licensed operators.
Frequency bands and modes of operation include:
* High Frequency (short-wave) through to microwave frequencies;* voice (referred to by ham operators as "phone")* CW (
[[Morse code ]])* facsimile (fax over radio)* television - slow-scan (similar to fax) and fast-scan (as for broadcast TV)* satellites (over 20 operational in orbit)* digital communications (various formats, the most common being PSK31)
==Amateur Radio and Christianity==
Until the widespread advent of [[telephone]] systems and the [[Internet]] in under-developed countries, Amateur Radio was widely used by [[missionary]] groups to communicate with people across the world. The missionaries operated their radios to talk to their home
organsations and pass information to family members.
Additionally, they operated their radios to make contact with 'ordinary' Amateurs and give them highly prized "QSL contact card" with a country, state, province, or area where there were very few operators. Among Amateur Radio operators in developed countries the missionaries were, and still are , a very welcome and highly prized group of people, often supported with donations to support their ability to provide the much sought after QSL card, or through having someone manage their QSL card distribution. The usual form of exchange is for the Amateur to send a "green stamp" (a US$1 bill) in exchange for the QSL card. This pays for the mailing of the card, and normally left a little besides as a donation for the missionary.
==Famous Amateur Radio operators and callsigns==
* [[Walter Cronkite]], CBS news anchorman - KB2GSD * Hussein, King of [[Jordan]] - JY1* [[Bhumiphol Adulayadej]], King of [[Thailand]] - HS1A * [[George Pataki]], Governor of [[New York]] - K2ZCZ * [[Barry Goldwater]], Senator (US) (ret) - K7UGA/K3UIG * [[Burl Ives]], singer - KA6HVA* Dr. [[Alex Comfort]], author of "The Joy of Sex" - KA6UXR* [[Donnie Osmond]], entertainer - KA7EVD (lapsed)* [[Marlon Brando]] aka Martin Brandeaux, actor - FO5GJ* [[Chet Atkins]], guitar player - WA4CZD* [[Cliff Richard]] (Harry Webb), singer - W2JOF* [[Joe Walsh]], guitarist for The Eagles - WB6ACU
* [http://www.iaru.org International Amateur Radio Union (IARU)]
* [http://www.wia.org.au Wireless Institute of Australia (WIA)] - the first national Amateur Radio society
* [http://www.arrl.org American Radio Relay League (ARRL)] - hobby society body for USA
* [http://www.amsat.org The Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation] of North America
* [http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Campus/4400/famous.htm famous Amateurs]
* [http://www.fists.org/ FISTS: International Morse Code Preservation Society]
* [http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/news/part97/ FCC Part 97] Rules governing amateur radio.
* [http://www.carf.net the Christian Amateur Radio Fellowship]