Twitter, Inc. is a liberal-controlled Big Tech social networking tool that rapidly emerged as a new medium of online news distribution. The free microblogging website, where users can submit messages containing 140 characters or less to their followers, was co-founded by Jack Dorsey and Evan Williams. Twitter is a privately funded startup established by Obvious.com in San Francisco, on March 21, 2006. Official Twitter policy is supportive of anarcho-Marxism, is intolerant of dissent and lacks diversity of opinion. As of mid-2020 Twitter has enjoyed Section 230 immunity from prosecution for its election interference and other abuses, as well as monopoly control. There is widespread discontent over Twitter's abuses of the pubic trust. It has been characterized as the "Wuhan wet market of ideas."
- 1 Usage
- 2 2020 Presidential election interference
- 3 Prominence
- 4 Jack Dorsey
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Twitter allows users to follow others, share status updates and / or news via "tweets," or republish another user's status update (referred to as a "retweet"). If a subject is popular enough, it can become a trending topic worldwide, and is displayed on the main website. Corporations can also pay Twitter to have a "Sponsored Trend" appear in the trending topics column. Twitter has made URL shorterners (such as ow.ly, bit.ly, tinyurl.com, and goo.gl, to name a few) popular, as they allow long URLs to be shortened and posted within a tweet.
As a simple messaging tool, the website states:
|“||Twitter asks one question, "What are you doing?" Answers must be under 140 characters in length and can be sent via mobile texting, instant message, or the web. The result of using Twitter to stay connected with friends, relatives, and coworkers is that you have a sense of what folks are up to but you are not expected to respond to any updates unless you want to.||”|
The Twitter API allows developers to create applications for computers and mobile phones that allow users to filter their Twitter feed, as well as track click-through rates, manage multiple accounts, or log-in to a website using their Twitter login.
Per 2011 figures, they are a fast growing company with over 200 million registered users worldwide, with an average of 65 million tweets daily. As of 2009, the major search engines integrated tweets into the search results. Twitter achieved its first profits by signing search engine contracts with Google and Bing. The company has an enormous market capitalization of 10-15 billion dollars. Twitter has rejected takeover offers worth hundreds of millions of dollars from Google and Facebook.
The site became such a popular destination that new news articles about Twitter appeared daily. In fact, one tweet by Daniel Knight Hayden, 52, which stated that he would massacre hundreds attending an Oklahoma City Tax Day Tea Party led to him being arrested by the FBI. Tweets of popular celebrities and politicians have also been commented on in the mainstream media.
2020 Presidential election interference
- See also: 2020 Presidential election
Twitter imposed new dracoian censorship measures aimed at conservative users in October 2020. One example is labeling criticism of mail-in balloting as ‘misinformation’. James Woods commented the new labeling is clear:
“They are closing down conservative voices completely now. Be prepared that you will no longer be able to see most of my communications, if indeed my account remains open at all. Sorry, folks, but it’s over. And they couldn’t care less what you think. This is the face of tyranny.”
For first time in American history social media companies took direct action against a major U.S. publisher, The New York Post when it published a story on Biden-Burisma scandal. The Post is among the top five newspapers by circulation in the United States. Twitter locked the account of the New York Post, banning the paper from posting any content all. Four days later, The Post's account remained locked. These actions raised serious questions about many social media platforms future Section 230 immunity status.
Twitter and Facebook interfered in the 2020 presidential election by blocking links to the article. Twitter and Facebook both have many foreign stockholders. Twitter banned people who posted The New York Post story, including White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany for sharing the article, locked the Trump Campaign account less than 3 weeks before the 2020 Presidential election. Rep. Jim Jordan posted the Biden-Burisma story on a federal government website after Twitter censored the House Judiciary GOP, at which point the link was promptly censored by Twitter. Wikipedia editors censored the Hunter Biden bombshell, and called the New York Post an ‘unreliable’ source. Google also was reported to be meddling in U.S. Senate elections. The Senate Judiciary Committee announced that Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey would be subpoenaed to explain the meddling. Former James Comey general counsel James A. Baker (DOJ), who was complicit in the Obamagate and FISA abuse scandals, is Twitter's lead counsel. The RNC made a formal complaint to the Federal Elections Commission which reads in part,
"Respondent’s feud with President Trump is well known, as are its frequent efforts to censor the President’s tweets and the “shadow banning” of prominent Republicans, including RNC’s Chair, Ronna McDaniel, and several Republican Members of Congress. Respondent’s CEO, Jack Dorsey, and other senior executives are prolific donors to the Democrat party and other left-wing causes, with 98.7% of the company’s total political contributions going to Democrats. In addition, there appears to be a revolving door between the Biden campaign and the company, with Respondent’s Public Policy Director recently leaving to join the Biden transition team and Senator Kamala Harris’s former Press Secretary now serving as Respondent’s Senior Communications Manager."
Violations of Section 230
- See also: Social media censorship
In May 2020, Twitter and its CEO Jack Dorsey came under heavy criticism for the company's recent decision to begin inserting "fact-checking" links into the tweets made by President Trump, with the company claiming those tweets to be "misleading" despite the exposure by Project Veritas of Democrat-led voter fraud proving otherwise, after Trump tweeted about recent concerns over the intent by the Democrat Party to commit voter fraud at the federal, state and local levels through the use of mail-in ballots during the 2020 Presidential election. The "fact-checking" links in question lead to an "information" page containing links from liberal media outlets such as CNN, MSNBC, the New York Times and the Washington Post, all of which indulge in publishing factually-devoid and misleading fake news hit pieces and opinion pieces masquerading as "news" regarding the mail-in vote scandal to fit their anti-Trump narratives. This decision also had the inadvertent outcome of embarrassing Twitter employee Yoel Roth, who was outed as having falsely accused Trump officials, including Presidential counselor Kellyanne Conway, of being "Nazis" in past tweets he posted. Trump, who accused Twitter of openly trying to interfere with free elections and illegally impeding free speech, responded to Twitter's tampering with his tweets by announcing that he may place Twitter and similar social media companies under heavy regulation or shut them down altogether to punish them for their extreme liberal bias and illegal censorship (in violation of the First Amendment) of conservative speech and thought. Republican Florida senator Marco Rubio also weighed in on the controversy, saying that Twitter could lose its liability protections for choosing to act as a publisher by exercising editorial control through its tampering with Trump's tweets.
Twitter's illegal actions led directly to Trump signing an Executive Order on May 28, 2020 with the intent of bringing Twitter, Facebook, Google (and its YouTube subsidiary) and other leftist-controlled social media companies to heel with a new policy on the conduct of those companies and putting an end to both their illegal censorship and silencing of conservatives and their liberal bias in allowing violent leftists to basically have the run of those sites without consequence or responsibility. Predictably, Twitter and Facebook reacted negatively toward the Trump Executive Order, with Twitter accusing the order of being "a reactionary and politicized approach to a landmark law (Section 230(c) of the Communications Decency Act)" and claiming, without evidence, that "Attempts to unilaterally erode (Section 230(c)) threaten the future of online speech and Internet freedoms" while ignoring that, under the Obama regime, Section 230(c) had been perverted and used by liberals in public office to impose acceptance of liberal agendas such as abortion on demand, gender confusion, "climate change", unfair taxation of wealth and the homosexual agenda on the American public and to themselves threaten online speech and Internet freedoms by ordering Twitter and other social media companies to illegally censor, silence, persecute and punish dissenting voices who disagreed with and opposed the imposition of those agendas. President Trump responded to Twitter's irresponsible actions with a strong rebuke directed at the company in a tweet on his Twitter account:
Twitter is doing nothing about all of the lies & propaganda being put out by China or the Radical Left Democrat Party. They have targeted Republicans, Conservatives & the President of the United States. Section 230 should be revoked by Congress. Until then, it will be regulated!
Despite the Trump Executive Order, however, Twitter continues to openly defy the President and engage in illegal censorship and lawless behavior by hiding visibility of the content of two tweets by Trump (and more recently, taking things even further by illegally deleting recent Trump tweets entirely) while hypocritically continuing to allow openly violent leftist tweets to remain intact, even allowing criminal looters and rioters to use the site to openly coordinate their criminal behavior while their supporters advised them of looting targets and while Twitter does nothing to stop them despite numerous reports against those tweets, which leaves Twitter and its employees, including Jack Dorsey himself, open to criminal, civil and regulatory liability for their defiant and irresponsible actions.
Twitter has taken upon itself to free ride on one of the President’s Tweets as a campaigning activity. The social media platform is overstepping boundaries and setting aside its privileged role as a mere ‘interactive computer service,’ and instead acting as a ‘shadow contributor’ to the Democratic National Committee. By trespassing its role as a [Section] 230 protected forum, Twitter has acted as a campaign contributor, and not as a mere interactive computer service.
A study from the Media Research Center showed that Twitter and Facebook censored President Donald Trump and the president’s affiliated campaign accounts at least 65 times in 2019 ans 2020, while leaving Biden untouched.
Twitter executives hate speech
- See also: Liberal bias
Twitter’s corrupt senior executives and other employees have a long history of anti-Trump hatred, a New York Post review of dozens of accounts of top employees found. The venom, vitriol and, in some cases, vows to help Joe Biden win the 2020 presidential election while said employees behave like emotionally-stunted preschool children online, enabled and encouraged by Jack Dorsey himself.
“GET HIM OUT,” posted a senior site reliability engineer on August 18, 2020 “What a f–king baboon.” One manager with nine years on the job said he was quite keen to watch Biden “crush [Trump] in the election” and that he hoped the president would “be utterly humiliated while also suffering greatly from #COVID19.” He vulgarly and immaturely calls Trump “a f–king idiot” and the voters who elected him — “hysterically f–king stupid people.” Others publicly wish the President harm. One Twitter engineering manager, displaying his own childishness, said Trump should “die in a fire” in a January 2017 tweet. A year later, he rang in the new year by falsely claiming “Happy 2018! Donald Trump is dead!”
None of these comments have ever been flagged by Twitter or been subject to any other form of official sanction, even as the social-media giant unjustly dishes out discipline to others for sharing legitimate news stories about Joe Biden. After a fly landed on Vice President Mike Pence’s head during his debate with Sen. Kamala Harris, the Twitter vice president noted crudely that flies are “drawn to sh-t.”
Spreading misinformation, lies and libel about the Trump family is common. A senior staff engineer inquired why the media wasn’t looking into Melania Trump’s “possible stint as a sex worker.” The First Lady denied this allegation and successfully sued over it. Twitter’s “head of integrity” Yoel Roth, who helped author the policy update used by the company to flag and label posts from President Trump, compared White House officials to "Nazis" and Trump to a “racist tangerine.”
Twitter justified blocking the New York Post's scoop on the Biden Burisma scandal claiming it violated Twitter's "Hacked Material Policy." The policy “prohibits the use of our service to distribute content obtained without authorization” because, they said, they “don’t want to incentivize hacking by allowing Twitter to be used as distribution for possibly illegally obtained materials.” That standard would result in the banning from the platform the Pentagon Papers which ultimately toppled Richard Nixon, the Snowden reporting, the Panama Papers, the DNC and Podesta emails that exposed corruption and forced the 2016 resignation of the top five officials of the Democratic National Committee, and President Trump's tax returns.
- See also: 2020 Antifa riots
Twitter was recently listed as one of numerous leftist-controlled companies that have gone "woke" and now support the criminal rioters of Antifa and Black Lives Matter in the wake of the 2020 leftist riots.
In its early days Republicans ere more adept at utilizing Twitter than Democrats. Republicans occupy 18 of the top 20 spots in terms of followers for politicians on Twitter as of January 2010. The study, "Twongress: The Power of Twitter in Congress," showed twice as many Republicans use Twitter even though there were far fewer Republicans in Congress at the time. "Republican (members of Congress) are outpacing their Democratic rivals in nearly every single category that was measured"  This has ushered a markedly different trend for Republicans, who for years have been outmatched by Democrats online.
Conservatives on Twitter
Conservatives dominate on Twitter. Some observers claim that liberals, who use wordy statements, have a hard time explaining themselves in 140 characters but it is to a conservative's advantage to articulate short and concise messages. Conservative words and phrases constantly make the top trending hashtags. As such, liberal tools are employed such as false flagging an account in large numbers. This results in the banning of popular conservatives, commonly referred to as Twitter's Gulag.
Conservative dominance was especially troubling for the campaign of Barack Obama. The Obama campaign loved to take full advantage of social networking to get their message out to the masses. Nearly every time Team Obama promoted a hashtag, such as #dontdoublemyrate, conservatives would hijack the message. A quick search would result in thousands of satirical responding tweets drowning out the Obama campaign's message with mockery.
Twitter's head Jack Dorsey has admitted that his company is "left-leaning."
Notably, Twitter banned conservative James Woods for a mild comment in relation to the extreme unpunished statements made frequently by letists. The site blocked numerous other conservative figures.
Racist Twitter administrators banned a pro-Trump Afro-Cuban GOP congressional candidate. Enrique Tarrio was permanently suspended by the digital platform without reason. Tarrio said in a statement,
|Big-tech has proven once again cannot be trusted with elections. The seat I am running for is extremely winnable. I am the front-runner in the GOP primary and they are clearly trying to silence our campaign in favor of Never Trumpers.
The mountain we have to climb to get through this primary and then defeat our Democrat opponent in the general election is made that much more difficult. Regardless, I will not relent and I will make sure we remained focused on implementing the America First agenda.”
For a more detailed treatment, see Shadow banning.
Donald Trump brought even more attention to the social networking site, and drew both more conservatives and critics. He made it a regular practice to communicate with the public using Twitter, perhaps because of his distrust of the news media. He became quite popular on Twitter, with over 26 million followers. He became so popular, in fact, that searching just the first letter ("r") of his "handle" (username, which is "@realDonaldTrump") returned him as the first search suggestion.
Promoting Chinese Communist propaganda
Iranian protesters angered by the results of Iran's disputed presidential election started to tweet marches on the government. This forced the Islamic Republic to block all cell phone messaging in June 2009, as tweets can also be submitted via text message. At the request of the U.S. State Department, Twitter delayed scheduled maintenance to allow tweets from Iranians.
In a separate incident, a group calling itself Iranian Cyber Army hacked into Twitter and defaced their homepage. They replaced the page with a bold pro-Iranian and anti-American message.
In a July 2012 interview with the Wall Street Journal Twitter's CEO explained his future plans. The paper noted, "Twitter executives still fight a perception that the service is only for tech geeks or narcissists, and there remain doubts about how big the San Francisco company can grow." Twitter wants to encourage users to communicate about particular events while they happen. Twitter plans to encourage independent application developers to use Twitter as a platform. It hopes to add tools to allow companies to analyze messages that discuss particular companies and events.
- Social media
- Google Plus
- Gab.ai (conservative-friendly alternative to Twitter)
- Donald Trump and social media
- Voter suppression
- Biden Putsch
- 2020 Election fraud timeline
- Happy Birthday Twitter! Mashable
- Twitter: Free Microblogging Service Perhaps the Perfect Mobile Blogging Tool, About.com, August 16, 2008
- Twitter as Tech Bubble Barometer, Wall Street Journal, February 10, 2011
- Content-Search Deals Make Twitter Profitable, BusinessWeek, December 21, 2009
- Members of Congress who Twitter Source Watch Encyclopedia
- FBI accuses Twitter user of massacre threats CNet, April 26, 2009
- "Finalized January of 2011, the transaction included a $450 million investment from Goldman Sachs, $50 million from DST, and $1 billion from unnamed foreign investors." http://whoownsfacebook.com/#Goldman
- "How to Commit Voter Fraud on a Massive Scale": Part II of Project Veritas Investigation into Clinton Network at Breitbart News Network
- Rigging the Election - Video II: Mass Voter Fraud at Project Veritas Action YouTube channel
- 'Leave our employees out of this': Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey responds to Trump broadside at the Washington Examiner
- "Twitter Falsely Undermined the Truth... Thereby Misleading the American Public" – Senior Legal Adviser to @TeamTrump Responds to Twitter’s "Blatantly Partisan" Attack on President at the Gateway Pundit
- Twitter slaps fact-checking alert on Trump tweets at the Washington Examiner
- Twitter's chief "fact-checker" called Trump officials "Nazis" at WorldNetDaily
- 'Close them down': Trump threatens to regulate or shutter social media platforms after Twitter fact-check at the Washington Examiner
- Rubio warns Twitter after it puts fact-check label on Trump tweet at the Washington Examiner
- U.S. senator warns Twitter could lose shield from liability at WorldNetDaily
- Social media meet their match at Conservative News and Views
- BREAKING: Twitter Censors Trump By Completely Removing His Tweet For First Time
- Multiple references:
- Twitter censors Trump while countless violent tweets remain active at WorldNetDaily
- Twitter Censors Trump Minneapolis Tweet, Accuses Him of "Glorifying Violence" at Breitbart News Network
- Twitter Censors President Trump (Again) over Warning to Lawless Agitators at Breitbart News Network
- Twitter Allows Looters to Coordinate Criminal Behavior While It Declares ‘#BlackLivesMatter’
- Here Are The Companies That Support Antifa, Black Lives Matter, and Want You Dead at Gab.com
- Study: On Twitter, Republicans Dominate Dems, NewsBusters.org, January 14, 2010
- Twongress: The Power of Twitter in Congress (PDF), Eyeonfda.com, January 2010
- Republicans Gain the Twitter Edge on Democrats, Study Shows, Fox News, January 15, 2010
- Conservatives Won 2010 Twitter Battle, PsychCentral, July 22, 2011
- Report: Angry liberals abusing Twitter features to silence conservatives, Examiner.com, April 30, 2012[Dead link]
- Twitter Bans Conservative Account, The Stump Report, August 10, 2011
- #GEN44: CONSERVATIVES USURP OBAMA’S TWITTER HASHTAG…AGAIN, The Blaze, March 25, 2012
- Kirkwood, R. Cort (August 20, 2018). Twitter Admits Leaning Left; Denies Censoring Conservatives. The New American. Retrieved August 25, 2018.
- Multiple references:
- Wulfsohn, Joseph A. (May 4, 2019). Conservative James Woods Locked Out of Twitter, Other Figures Banned by Facebook. LifeZette. Retrieved May 4, 2019.
- Caruso, Justin (May 3, 2019). James Woods Banned from Twitter Amid Silicon Valley’s Conservative Blacklisting Campaign. Breitbart News. Retrieved May 4, 2019.
- Multiple references:
- Morton, Victor (May 7, 2019). Twitter suspends conservative activist David Horowitz. The Washington Times. Retrieved May 7, 2019.
- Ernst, Douglas (May 7, 2019). Twitter suspends Jack Posobiec's @MAGAphobia account for tracking violence against Trump supporters. The Washington Times. Retrieved May 7, 2019.
- HIDDEN CAMERA: Twitter Engineers To "Ban a Way of Talking" Through "Shadow Banning"
- Kirkwood, R. Cort (August 17, 2018). Twitter Still Silencing the Right? The New American. Retrieved August 17, 2018.
- Zeng, Jennifer (June 1, 2019). Twitter Suspends Accounts Critical of Chinese Regime Days Before Tiananmen Anniversary. The Epoch Times. Retrieved June 2, 2019.
- Klar, Rebecca (June 2, 2019). Twitter apologizes for blocking accounts ahead of Tiananmen Square anniversary. The Hill. Retrieved June 2, 2019.
- Twitter Hack: Part Of Broader Iranian Strategy, Techcrunch.com, December 18, 2009
- Ovide, Shira. "Beyond Tech Geeks and Narcisssists: Twitter Aims to Boost Site's Utility", Wall Street Journal, July 24, 2012, p. B1.
- Twitter Home Page
- Twitchy.com: compiler of hilarious conservative and numskull liberal tweets
- Twulitzerprize.com; Daily best, worst, obvious tweets
- Video - Social Networking - Twitter can get you fired, Fox News, March 24, 2009
- The Roots of Twitter’s Shadowbanning Operation, lauraloomer.us
- U.S. Army warns of twittering terrorists
- Astronaut sends first live tweets from space
- The Twitter account of Almighty God
- Congressional Twitter accounts