The Agricultural Research Service (ARS) is the U.S. Department of Agriculture's chief scientific research agency. ARS conducts research to develop and transfer solutions to agricultural problems of high national priority and provide information access and dissemination to:
- ensure high-quality, safe food, and other agricultural products
- assess the nutritional needs of Americans
- sustain a competitive agricultural economy
- enhance the natural resource base and the environment, and
- provide economic opportunities for rural citizens, communities, and society as a whole.