Breitbart.com is an up-to-the-minute news source founded by Andrew Breitbart. Presently, it is a conservative media juggernaut providing breaking news stories that the mainstream media would suppress from the general public. Exposing liberal bias in media has proven profitable as Breitbart has created other successful news sites; Breitbart.TV, BigGovernment, BigJournalism, BigHollywood, and most recently BigPeace. Breitbart is such a threat to the left that Media Matters constantly harasses them with misinformation campaigns. The Breitbart properties have provided some of the most ground-breaking news stories over the last several years and can be credited with taking down ACORN and exposing race baiting against the Tea Party movement by Democrat politicians. Per their website,
"Breitbart is currently serving about 20 million news pages per month to more than three million unique visitors. Many top bloggers rely on Breitbart as a primary news resource. Technorati puts Breitbart.com in its Top 50, with more than 30,000 links from nearly 8,000 blogs."
In 2016, Breitbart News ranked 29th in overall internet traffic according to Alexa. It played an influential role in the media and in the 2016 presidential election. Despite being a conservative news outlet, it has taken certain liberal positions at times, such as firing an editor in June 2017 for posting Tweets in opposition to Islam and Islamic immigration.
In its quest for ad revenue, Breitbart's overall web presentation is less than family friendly with its right hand column running click bait for stories about "wardrobe malfunction" and photos of women wearing tight T-shirts imprinted with "not silicone." While its own content is conservative, the photos and links served up by its advertisers are not.
- Concha, Joe (June 6, 2017). Breitbart sees huge advertising drop in May: report. The Hill. Retrieved June 7, 2017.
- Bokhari, Allum (March 4, 2017). Study: Breitbart Dominated Right Wing Coverage, ‘Altered Media Agenda’ In 2016. Breitbart News. Retrieved June 8, 2017.
- Benkler, Yochai; Faris, Robert; Roberts, Hal; Zuckerman, Ethan (March 3, 2017). Study: Breitbart-led right-wing media ecosystem altered broader media agenda. Columbia Journalism Review. Retrieved June 8, 2017.
- Ingram, Mathew (March 6, 2017). How the Breitbart-Led Media Ecosystem Elected Donald Trump. Fortune. Retrieved June 8, 2017.
- Chasmar, Jessica (June 5, 2017). Breitbart writer Katie McHugh fired over ‘Muslims’ tweet. The Washington Times. Retrieved June 7, 2017.
- Breitbart Sports
- The Conversation
- The Wires
- Breitbart California
- Breitbart Texas
- Breitbart London