A civilization needs a form of government (a set of laws), a form of education, skilled workers, an agricultural surplus to feed the skilled workers, law enforcement, economy, and a currency or trading system.
In order to attain these prerequisites a group of humans must have climbed up the ladder of Technological Development necessary to attain them.
Three major attributes of every civilization include:
- Urbanism - There must be cities to have civilization.
- Politics - There must be something to bring the people together.
- Religion - There must be a code of conduct or standard of morality to maintain civilization.
- People with common language, customs, government, and economy, earliest in Mesopotamia 3000 BC.
- More people, more sedentary, more predicable
- More & Better food, clothing, and shelter
- Lifespan increases
- Sophisticated religion and technology
- Tyrannical rule
- Conscription & War
- 6200 BC: Liao civilization begins in Northeast China
- c. 3200 BC: Sumer
- 3200 BC: Norte Chico civilization begins in Peru
- 3200 BC: Rise of Proto-Elamite Civilization in Iran
- 3200 BC: Newgrange built in Ireland.
- 3200 BC: Cycladic civilization in Greece
- 3150 BC: First Dynasty of Egypt
- 3100 BC: Skara Brae in Scotland
- 3000 BC: Jiroft civilization begins in Iran
- 2800 BC: Kot Diji phase of the Indus Valley Civilization begins
- 2800 BC: Longshan culture in China
- 2700 BC: Minoan Civilization ancient palace city Knossos reach 80,000 inhabitants
- 2700 BC: Rise of Elam in Iran
- 2600 BC: Mature Harappan phase of the Indus Valley civilization (in present-day Pakistan and India) begins
- 2600 BC: Emergence of Maya culture in the Yucatán Peninsula
- 2334 or 2270 BC: Akkadian Empire is founded, dating depends upon whether the Middle chronology or the Short chronology is used.
- 1900 BC: Erlitou culture in China
- 1600 BC: Minoan civilization on Crete is destroyed by the Minoan eruption of Santorini island.
- 1600 BC: Mycenaean Greece
- 1600 BC: The beginning of Shang Dynasty in China, evidence of a fully developed Chinese writing system
- 1400-400 BC: Olmec civilization flourishes in Pre-Columbian Mexico, during Mesoamerica's Formative period
- 1200 BC: The Hallstatt culture
- 1000 BC: Nok culture in West Africa
- 800 BC: Rise of Greek city-states
- c.785 BC: Rise of the Kingdom of Kush