Claude Steiner is an important author and pionerr in the field of transactional analysis.
- Negative reinforcement is known to be most effective in shaping avoidant behavior extremely resistive to extinction. 
- Because games, like eating junk food, are essentially bad habits based on poor learning experiences, they can be avoided and replaced with positive intimate interactions.
- Games fend off intimacy and isolate us from the strokes we really want.
- Getting out of the game by refusing to play any of the roles is the only workable choice.
- I have never been able to help anyone who didn't sincerely ask for help and who wasn't willing to recognize and analyze his own behavior honestly.
- The despair and hopelessness associated with their condition is dealt with by using alcohol as a sedative and mood elevator which gets them high, helps them forget their troubles, and makes life's daily difficulties bearable.
- As long as the alcoholic drinks, the partner preserves the appearance of blamelessness, while both know that this is not true.