Terminology is important. We must use the right word to refer to each idea, person, event, and so forth. Using the wrong word can arouse indignation or disgust. But how can we choose the correct word, when our readers are from so many different cultures? Here are some problematic terms and possible solutions.
- North America
- The term North America has for map-makers referred to all of the northern part of the Americas; the southern part being South America
- However, in political or cultural contexts, "North America" may:
- be distinguished from Central America, giving us:
- be distinguished from Latin America and the Caribbean, giving us:
- For simplicity we neglect Greenland here