Dave Mustaine is the lead singer and guitarrist of Heavy Metal band Megadeth. He was born in La Mesa, California in 1961, he was one of the founding members of Metallica, but was then ejected because of his addiction to heroin.
His lyrics are characterized by an aggressive temper, especially toward authorities (he even made a cover of Anarchy in the U.K. by Sex Pistols).
After he was found driving under the influence and after a recent accident for which he had risked to lose his ability to play guitar, Mustaine decided in 2002 to convert to Christianity and has since been an advocate of family values. However, he is continuing to criticize authorities such as the United States government and the United Nations.
He expresses clearly his ideas toward the United Nations in the song United Abominations of his last album:
- Within striking distance from Ground Zero sits a smoldering international cauldron, the United "Abominations" as it were. Born to prevent wars, it froze in the face of disaster and stood silent while terrorization to hostage of the world
- In a mire of hypocrisy, the U.N. ignores sex crimes by its "blue helmets", and enables terrorism; so in the end it's failed and the U.N. is where our so-called friends get to stab us in the back and we pay 22% of their tab to host our enemies here at home.
- Ambassadors from countries enjoy otherwise known as a catastrophe, enjoy Diplomatic immunity living in Manhattan, while their children are turned into prostitutes It's a complete and utter disgrace, a blot on the face of humanity, and they get away with it.
He is also very critical of Iraq war and U.S. intervention abroad, e.g. in the same song as above:
- I fear to undo the failings in Iraq, Iran, and Korea
- You may bury the bodies
- But you can't bury the crimes only
- Fools stand up and really lay down their arms
His recently acquired political ideas have been compared to the positions of a conservative American organization