Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals
The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program is a United States government program established during the Obama Administration that gave executive amnesty to illegal immigrants who crossed the border as children. It is related to the defunct DAPA program, also created by the Obama Administration.
Many Democrats support amnesty for illegal immigrants, including DACA recipients, in order to provide the Democrat Party with additional voters. This was affirmed in a leaked memo by the Center for American Progress Action Fund that stated that legalizing DACA was "a critical component of the Democratic Party’s future electoral success." Despite this, many Democrats and liberals give a higher priority to preserving chain migration.
The Obama Administration established DACA in 2012. Not only did it give amnesty to illegals who were minors when they entered the country, but it gave them work permits (jobs which could have gone to American citizens). Additionally, the Obama Administration was able to give green cards to about 40,000 of those DACA illegals. In his 2013 memoir, liberal Democrat U.S. Representative Luis Gutiérrez, an ally of Obama on immigration issues, stated that Obama did not believe that DACA was legally possible until he enacted it.
On September 5, 2017, the Trump Administration announced that it would end the DACA program in six months, and it began negotiations with Congress on potentially making the program legal in exchange for border security provisions.
DACA and crime
In June 2018, the DHS reported that nearly 60,000 DACA recipients had arrest records, with 10 being accused of murder, even though all of them were shielded from deportation through the executive order.
- Duke, Selwyn (January 8, 2018). Truth on DACA: We’ve Already Granted Amnesty to These Illegals. The New American. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- Binder, John (January 11, 2018). Leaked Memo: DACA Amnesty Is ‘Critical Component of Democratic Party’s Future Electoral Success’. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 11, 2018.
- Binder, John (February 20, 2018). DACA Illegal Aliens March in Lockstep With Democrats: Maintaining Chain Migration Takes Priority Over Amnesty. Breitbart News. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- Munro, Neil (July 21, 2017). DACA: Seven Facts About Obama’s Amnesty Decree. Breitbart News. Retrieved July 21, 2017.
- Nolte, John (September 5, 2017). 14 Things the MSM Won’t Tell You About DACA. Breitbart News. Retrieved September 6, 2017.
- Klein, Aaron (September 3, 2017). How the Obama Administration Bypassed Congress to Grant De Facto Amnesty to Young Illegal Aliens. Breitbart News. Retrieved September 3, 2017.
- Munro, Neil (September 1, 2017). 45,000 Illegals Using DACA Backdoor to Get Green Cards. Breitbart News. Retrieved September 1, 2017.
- Binder, John (September 26, 2017). Feds Confirm 40K Illegal Aliens Shielded by DACA Already Given Amnesty. Breitbart News. Retrieved September 26, 2017.
- Pollak, Joel B. (September 5, 2017). Luis Gutiérrez on DACA in 2013: Obama Said It Was Illegal. Breitbart News. Retrieved September 6, 2017.
- Multiple references:
- Mason, Ian (September 5, 2017). Jeff Sessions Announces DACA Demise. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- Noble, Andrea; Dinan, Stephen (September 5, 2017). Trump phaseout of DACA gives Congress six months to devise solution for Dreamers. The Washington Times. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- Trump administration ends DACA, with 6-month delay. Fox News. September 5, 2017. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- Holland, Steve; Torbati, Yeganeh (September 5, 2017). Trump ends 'Dreamer' immigration program, places onus on Congress. Reuters. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- Multiple references:
- Chamberlain, Samuel (June 18, 2018). Thousands of DACA recipients with arrest records, including 10 accused murderers, allowed to stay in US. Fox News. Retrieved June 18, 2018.
- Munro, Neil (June 18, 2018). Obama Admin Approved 50,000+ DACA Amnesty Applicants with Criminal Records. Breitbart News. Retrieved June 18, 2018.
- Dinan, Stephen (June 18, 2018). DACA kids approved despite murder, rape and sex crimes arrests. The Washington Times. Retrieved June 18, 2018.