Difference between revisions of "Dissent"
(The definition of the word dissent.)
Revision as of 23:16, 20 June 2007
Defined as follows:
–verb (used without object) 1. to differ in sentiment or opinion, esp. from the majority; withhold assent; disagree (often fol. by from): Two of the justices dissented from the majority decision.
2. to disagree with the methods, goals, etc., of a political party or government; take an opposing view.
3. to disagree with or reject the doctrines or authority of an established church. –noun
4. difference of sentiment or opinion.
5. dissenting opinion.
6. disagreement with the philosophy, methods, goals, etc., of a political party or government.
7. separation from an established church, esp. the Church of England; nonconformity. [Origin: 1400–50; late ME dissenten (< MF dissentir) < L dissentīre, equiv. to dis- dis-1 + sentīre to feel]