The Drudge Report has been an online source for more than a decade of news censored or downplayed by the mainstream media. However, the Drudge Report has become anti-Donald Trump and the backlash has caused alternatives to spring up and Matt Drudge's website is bleeding traffic (the conservative and right-wing alternatives to the Drudge Report are the Bongino Report, NewsAmmo, American Drudge Report, Rantingly, Liberty Daily, Whatfinger News, Gab Trends and Infogalactic News. See: Drudge Report alternatives). It also features news from Hollywood about box office receipts and the happenings of stars and starlets. It is named after its founder, Matt Drudge.
The Drudge Report played an instrumental role in breaking the story about President Bill Clinton's relationship with Monica Lewinsky after The Washington Post refused to publish the story in 1997. This posting on the internet of this story by the Drudge Report led to the impeachment of President Clinton. The Drudge Report thereby played an important historical role in establishing the political power of the internet.
However, by 2018, the Drudge Report had become significantly more left-wing than in previous years, and most of the time, it would refer readers to mainstream media outlets such as CNN, The New York Times, and The Washington Post. Apparently, the Drudge Report had been sold years ago and a condition of the agreed upon sales price was for Matt Drudge to never speak about the transfer of ownership. Additionally, Matt Drudge, a homosexual, has attacked conservatives such as Steve Bannon and Roy Moore for their conservative positions, and during the 2020 primaries, has also repeatedly backed the "married" homosexual mayor and Democratic candidate Pete Buttigieg. It also has mocked President Trump. Because of this leftward shift, many Drudge readers abandoned him for Whatfinger News and other conservative news outlets.
In 2022 Robert Barnes observed,
|"After Drudge sold Drudge Report (in secret to maintain brand value, but that didn't really work as everyone saw the changes pretty quickly), Drudge Report is a useful place to see what the establishment is thinking. They are still pretending Putin will be overthrown any day now, the Russian economy will imminently collapse, China & India will come begging to be part of the sanctions regime, the Russians are just about to lose and head home from Ukraine, and so forth. Propaganda distilled & curated in one page."|
- Anti-Trump Turncoat Drudge BLEEDS Viewers as New Pro-Trump Sites SURGE!!!
- Trump Fans Are So Mad at Matt Drudge They’re Trying to Make a MAGA Rival to His ‘Left-Wing’ Site
- Bongino Report
- Introducing the Bongino Report
- Donner, Leesa K. (January 11, 2018). The Drudge Report: Statistics Don't Lie. LibertyNation. Retrieved January 12, 2018.
- Concha, Joe (October 24, 2019). Drudge faces conservative pushback after mocking Trump's Colorado wall comment. The Hill. Retrieved October 24, 2019.
- Multiple references:
- Duke, Selwyn (January 17, 2018). “Whatfinger News”: What the Drudge Report Was Meant to Be. The New American. Retrieved January 19, 2018.
- Duke, Selwyn (October 7, 2019). Now-anti-Trump Drudge Losing Traffic to Anti-establishment Site Whatfinger. The New American. Retrieved October 7, 2019.
- Duke, Selwyn (November 14, 2019). Is Drudge the Enron of News? Anti-Trump Site’s Traffic Declines as Conservatives Flee. The New American. Retrieved November 14, 2019.
- Richardson, Valerie (November 21, 2019). Et tu, Drudge? Alarm grows on right over site's anti-Trump pivot. The Washington Times. Retrieved November 21, 2019.
- Richardson, Valerie (November 26, 2019). Exclusive: As Drudge Report falters amid anti-Trump shift, rivals on right gain ground. The Washington Times. Retrieved November 26, 2019.
- Concha, Joe (December 4, 2019). Conservative Dan Bongino launches alternative to the Drudge Report. The Hill. Retrieved December 4, 2019.
- Brest, Mike (December 4, 2019). Drudge Report competitor launched by Dan Bongino is now live. Washington Examiner. Retrieved December 4, 2019.
- Richardson, Valerie (December 5, 2019). Matt Drudge picks up another conservative competitor with the Bongino Report. The Washington Times. Retrieved December 5, 2019.
- Richardson, Valerie (December 23, 2019). 'Free Matt Drudge': Silicon Valley conservatives to launch latest Drudge rival. The Washington Times. Retrieved December 23, 2019.