This essay is an original work by TheAmericanRedoubt. Please comment only on the talk page.
Recommended Conservative Firearms Resources
Note: The following are important recommended reading and bibliography for the more than 1000 firearms and Second Amendment related terms and gun articles. Initially hundreds of short "gun glossary stubs" of 1 paragraph will be developed using authoritative sources from these books below as references. These articles will act as the foundation for larger articles on the individual topic.
This essay will include not only books (both non-fiction and novels), but also Gun Movies and Videos, Internet Firearms Book Sources, Gun Newsletters and Magazines, Shooting Gear, Gun and Parts Distributors, Websites and Blogs, Groups and Organizations, Government Agencies, and Pro-Bill of Rights Groups.
Conservative Firearms Books
- Party, Boston T., Boston's Gun Bible. Wyoming: American Redoubt Javelin Press, 2009 revision to 2002 edition. Chapter 9: Combat rifle cartridges. Chapter 21: Bolt action rifle cartridges. Chapter 25: Handguns - Handgun cartridges. Chapter 26: My Shopping List - Ammo for your rifle. Chapter 29: Reloading.
- Kane, Lawrence A. and Wilder, Kris, The Little Black Book of Violence. Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc. ASIN: B002H8ORS4. Paperback: 370 pages. Ymaa Publication Center; 3.2.2009 edition (April 16, 2009)
- Plaster, John L., Ultimate Sniper 2006 : An Advanced Training Manual for Military and Police Snipers (2006 Updated Edition). Paperback: 584 pages. Publisher: Paladin Press; 2nd edition (January 2006). ISBN 1581604947. ISBN 978-1581604948.
- Rawles, James Wesley, How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It - Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times', New York: Plume/Penguin Books, 2009. Released September 30, 2009, 336 pages, ISBN 0452295831, ISBN 978-0452295834, Audible.com Audio book, Amazon.com Paperback. Chapter 10: Home security and Self-defense. Chapter 11: Firearms for Self-sufficiency and Self-defense.
- Rawles, James Wesley, Tools for Survival: What You Need to Survive When You’re on Your Own. New York: Plume/Penguin Books, 2015. Released December 30, 2014, 368 pages, ISBN 0452298121, ISBN 978-0452298125, Reviews, Audible.com Audio book, Amazon.com Paperback. Chapter 11: Rifles, Shotguns, and Handguns
- Skousen, Joel, The Secure Home, May 12, 1999. Amazon.com. Paperback: 700 pages. Publisher: Swift; 3rd edition (May 12, 1999). ISBN 1568610556. ISBN 978-1568610559.
- Tappan, Mel, Survival Guns. Boulder, Colorado: Paladin Press, Released November 1, 2009. 480 pages. ISBN 1581607199, ISBN 978-1581607192. Amazon.com Paperback
- Wolfe, Claire, 101 Things to Do 'Til the Revolution Ideas and Resources for Self-Liberation, Monkey Wrenching and Preparedness, 1999. Paperback: 191 pages. Publisher: Breakout Productions; Revised edition (January 1999). ISBN 189362613X. ISBN 978-1893626133 Amazon.com. Paladin-Press.com site
- “America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.”
- Claire Wolfe
- Claire Wolfe, 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution
- Zelman, Aaron, Stevens, Richard W., Death by Gun Control - The Human Cost of Victim Disarmament. Devastating nation-by-nation proof that disarming a people is historically a prelude to their genocide. An utterly unanswerable treatise. From the JPFO - Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership. Amazon.com. Paperback: 338 pages. Publisher: Mazel Freedom Press, Inc (January 1, 2001). ISBN 0964230461. ISBN 978-0964230460.
“Be Ready to Barter” Reference Book List
- Flayderman, Norm, Fayderman’s Guide to Antique American Firearms and Their Values. Paperback: 752 pages. Publisher: Gun Digest Books; Ninth Edition edition (December 17, 2007). ISBN 089689455X. ISBN 978-0896894556
Guns and Survival Themed Movies and Videos
A Proviso: None of these films except for City of Ember are suitable for children!
- The Andromeda Strain (1971) The recent remake has also had positive reviews)
- Black Hawk Down
- Blast From the Past
- The Book of Eli
- City of Ember (suitable for ages 12 and up)
- Defiance This movie was based on the book Defiance: The Bielski Partisans by Nechama Tec
- Doctor Zhivago
- Empire of the Sun
- Enemy at the Gates
- Farewell to the King
- The Flight of the Phoenix (Buy the original version, made in 1965, starring Jimmy Stewart. The recent remake pales in comparison.)
- The Great Escape
- I Am Legend (a good remake of The Omega Man (see below.)
- Jeremiah Johnson
- The Magnificent Seven the American remake of Akira Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai (Shichinin No Samurai)
- The Matrix Series (The Matrix / The Matrix Reloaded / The Matrix Revolutions)
- The Omega Man (It has far too many 1970s cliches, but still worth watching. More recently re-made as I Am Legend)
- Open Range (IMHO, one of the better western films made)
- The Outlaw Josey Wales with Clint Eastwood
- Panic in Year Zero (The corny film that first got me thinking about TEOTWAWKI, when I was a lad)
- The Patriot
- The Pianist
- The Postman (A typically “Hollywood” overblown production, but still a good think piece)
- The Quiet Earth
- Red Dawn
- The Road Warrior, aka Mad Max movies (Mad Max 2 “The Road Warrior” is by far the best of the three, although Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome has its merits)
- Schindler’s List (BTW, it is too bad that Steven Spielberg didn't show Oskar Schindler arming his Jewish employees–which is what actually happened)
- Serenity (I also highly recommend the short-lived cable television series Firefly, from which this feature film spun off.)
- Seven Samurai (Shichinin No Samurai)
- Shane (IMHO, the best western film ever made)
- Soylent Green (This one barely made my list, but you may find it worth watching)
- The Terminator movies (Terminator 2 is by far the best, IMHO. (Terminator 3 was a bit lame, but worth seeing if only for the glimpses of “Crystal Peak”.) The television series Terminator – The Sarah Connor Chronicles also has its merits.)
- Things to Come (1936)
- Tremors (more for fun rather than an education. Only the first movie is worth watching, IMHO.)
- True Grit
- Victory at Sea (Documentary on World War II.)
Internet Firearms Book Sources
Firearms Newsletters and Magazines
Gun and Parts Distributors
Gun Websites and Blogs
Gun Groups and Organizations
Pro-Bill of Rights Groups
- The Survival Blog Bookshelf. Accessed February 20, 2015