Some general characteristics of evangelical Christians include:
- superior knowledge of the Bible[Citation Needed]
- emphasis on salvation by faith alone
- baptism as a recognition rather than a requirement for salvation
- active participation in a local church
- high levels of charity
- high mobility
- support of homeschooling
- belief in the traditional family
- support of some or all forms of free enterprise
- support for democracy and the mission of bringing democracy to others[Citation Needed]
- emphasize humility, as in Isaac Newton's attitude towards science
Evangelical Christians tend to be patriotic and politically conservative.
- "I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."