Great Achievements by Teenagers
Teenagers throughout history have have had many great achievements in the fields of art, culture, science and technology. This may be because they are able to think in new and innovative ways, or their thinking is not hidebound by discredited nostrums; it may be attributable to great teachers and great schooling - including homeschooling. It may simply be the emergence of God-given talent at an early age.
Achievements, listed by age at which they were made
- 7 - Yehudi Menuhin gives his first solo violin performance with the San Francisco Symphony in 1923
- 8 - Pablo Picasso paints his "Picador"
- 8 - Frederic Chopin plays his first public piano performance, having already authored two polonaises (G minor and B flat major) at age 7.
- 12 - Blaise Pascal had secretly worked out the first twenty-three propositions of Euclid by himself.
- 13 - John wrote the first draft of the Gospel of John, the greatest written work of all time.
- 13 - Joan of Arc inspired and led France to victory in the Hundred Years War
- 13 - Anne Frank began writing her diary, later published as "Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl"
- 14 - chess-player Bobby Fischer became an International Grandmaster
- 14 - Mozart wrote the opera, "Mitridate Rè di Ponto"
- 15 - Louis Braille invented the Braille system
- 15 - Christopher Paolini writes the first draft of his Eragon trilogy which is published when he is 19.
- 16 - Jean-François Champollion, can speak a dozen languages and delivers a paper on the Coptic language to the Grenoble Academy. By 20, he can speak another 13 languages and at 32 he deciphers the Rosetta Stone.
- 18 - Mary Shelley writes Frankenstein (The Modern Prometheus) - it is only published when she is 21, however.
- 19 - Captain Albert Ball, VC, MC, DSO & 2 bars, commences his career as a fighter pilot. By the time he is killed, aged 20, in 1917, he has become one of the First World War's greatest air aces, accounting for at least 44 German aircraft.
- 20 - Carl Friedrich Gauss makes his first mathematical discoveries, which will lead to the completion of "Disquisitiones Arithmeticae", his magnum opus, at the age of 21.
(add more, sorted by age and then alphabetically)