|39th Governor of California|
From: January 3, 2011 – present
|Successor||Incumbent (no successor)|
|34th Governor of California|
From: January 6, 1975 – January 3, 1983
Edmund Gerald "Jerry" Brown, Jr. is the current Governor of the State of California. This is his second time (non-consecutive) in the office of Governor of California; the first being as its 34th governor from 1975 to 1983. He has also served as California Attorney General, and was the mayor of Oakland, California. He is a Democrat. His nickname, given to him in 1976 by the left-leaning columnist Mike Royko, is "Governor Moonbeam" due to Jerry Brown's New Age-like, occasionally off-the-wall style.
Brown was born in San Francisco, California on April 7, 1938, the only son of Edmund G. "Pat" Brown, Sr., a lawyer and politician who also became the governor and attorney general of California prior to his son. Pat Brown was defeated for reelection as governor of California in 1966 by Ronald Reagan.
Jerry Brown graduated from St. Ignatius High School in 1955. He completed his freshman year at the Santa Clara University then attended Sacred Heart Novitiate, a Jesuit seminary from 1956 to 1960. He received a B.A. degree from the University of California at Berkeley in 1961, and graduated from Yale Law School in 1964.
Brown unsuccessfully sought the Democrat Party nomination for President in 1976, 1980, and 1992.
- 1971–1975 — California Secretary of State.
- 1975–1983 — Governor of California.
- 1998–2006 — Mayor of Oakland, California.
- 2007–2011 — Attorney General of California.
- 2011–present — Governor of California.
Tenure as governor
Brown is a liberal. On September 30, 2016, he signed a bill into law that makes it illegal to distribute audio or video recordings with healthcare (aka abortion) providers without their consent, something which is potentially unconstitutional. On the same day, he signed into law a bill that ordered all single-stall restrooms to be marked gender-neutral. Also the same day, Brown signed SB 1146 into law, which at first caused great fear among Christians that it would restrict the religious freedom of Christians and Christian colleges and be adopted by other states as well.
- Berry, Susan (October 1, 2016). Gov. Jerry Brown Signs Bill Criminalizing Journalists Who Distribute Recordings of Abortion Providers. Breitbart. Retrieved October 1, 2016.
- Richardson, Bradford (September 30, 2016). California enacts law penalizing secret recordings at Planned Parenthood. The Washington TImes. Retrieved October 1, 2016.
- Gov. Jerry Brown Approves Gender-Neutral Restrooms. CBSlocal.com (from the Associated Press). September 30, 2016. Retrieved December 27, 2016.
- SB-1146 Discrimination: postsecondary education.(2015-2016). leginfo.legislature.ca.gov. Retrieved on December 27, 2016.
- Kew, Ben (June 22, 2016). Bill to Prevent LGBT Discrimination Would Restrict Christian Schools’ 1st Amendment Rights. Breitbart. Retrieved December 27, 2016.
- Berry, Susan, Dr. (August 13, 2016). A Victory for Religious Freedom at Christian Universities in California. Breitbart. Retrieved December 27, 2016.