List of atheist shooters and serial killers
Due to this fact, peer reviewed research published in academic journals has found that society-at-large is likely to hold atheists responsible for capital criminal acts and that even atheists are likely to assume that serial killers are fellow atheists.
- Dimitrios Pagourtzis, Santa Fe, Texas shooter who killed at least 10 people at a public school, described himself as an atheist on his Facebook page (May 2018)
- Gabriel Ross Parker, shooter at Marshall County High School in Kentucky who murdered two people (January 2018)
- Devin Patrick Kelley, perpetrator of the Sutherland Springs, Texas shooting at First Baptist Church, murdered 26 people (November 2017)
- Chris Harper Mercer, Umpqua Community College gunman (October 2015)
- Craig Stephen Hicks, perpetator of the Chapel Hill Shootings (February 2015)
- Jared Lee Loughner, perpetrator of the Tucson Shootings (January 2011)
- Seung-Hui Cho, perpetrator of the Virginia Tech shootings (April 2007)
- Jeffrey Dahmer, serial killer and sex offender responsible for the rape, murder, and dismemberment of seventeen men and boys (1978 - 1991)
- James Oliver Huberty, perpetrator of the San Ysidro McDonald's massacre (July 1984)
- Carl Panzram (1891-1930) was an American serial killer, rapist, arsonist, robber and burglar. In his autobiography and prison confessions Panzram claimed he committed 21 murders (a majority of which were not corroborated) and over 1,000 sodomies of boys and men. He was executed for murdering a prison employee at Leavenworth Federal Penitentiary. Panzram declared "“I don't believe in man, God nor Devil. I hate the whole damned human race, including myself. I preyed upon the weak, the harmless and the unsuspecting. This lesson I was taught by others: might makes right.”
Young mass murderers and atheism
See also: Young mass murderers
A significant portion of the recent incidents involving young mass murderers have involved atheists.
Study: People assume serial killers are atheists
See also: Atheism and serial killers
The news and analysis website Axios reported:
|“|| A new study published in Nature Human Behaviour found that people around the world are predisposed to believe that atheists are more likely to be serial killers than religious believers — a bias even held by atheists themselves.
By the numbers: The study included 3,256 participants across 13 diverse countries that included highly secular nations like Finland and the Netherlands as well as highly religious ones like the United Arab Emirates and India.
Agnostic shooters, serial killers and domestic terrorists
- Timothy McVeigh (April 23, 1968 – June 11, 2001) was the main perpetrator in the Oklahoma City Bombing on April 19, 1995, which killed 168 people in the worst act of domestic terrorism in American history. Contrary to the popular and oft-repeated belief among liberals and the irreligious, McVeigh was not a right-wing evangelical Christian. In fact, McVeigh was raised Roman Catholic, but professed agnosticism. His political beliefs were libertarian.
- Atheism and psychopathy
- Irreligion, psychopathy, crime, violence and antisocial behavior
- Atheism and mental illness
- Atheism and mass murder
- Atheism and morality
- Atheism and rape
- Atheistic communism and torture
- Atheism and alcoholism
- Atheism and suicide
- Atheism and cannibalism
- Atheism and health
- Atheism and depression
- Irreligious prison population
- Religion and crime reduction
- Stone Phillips, Jeffrey Dahmer (1994). Jeffrey Dahmer Interview - MSNBC Footage. Dateline NBC. Retrieved on October 7, 2017.
- Pettit, Harry (August 7, 2017). Do we need religion to have good morals? Even atheists think horrific crimes are likely committed by atheists. Daily Mail. Retrieved on October 7, 2017.
- Atheists tend to be seen as immoral – even by other atheists: study. The Guardian (August 7, 2017). Retrieved on October 7, 2017.
- Daisy Grewal (January 17, 2012). In Atheists We Distrust. Scientific American. Retrieved on October 7, 2017.
- With graduation just days away, Texas school becomes latest casualty — 10 dead, 10 wounded in latest campus shooting, LA Times
- Sayers, Justin; Wolfson, Andrew (March 7, 2018). Gabe Parker saw Marshall County school shooting as an experiment, officer says. The Courier-Journal. Retrieved March 21, 2018.
- Police: Teen Saw Shooting as Experiment, Showed No Remorse. U.S. News & World Report (from the Associated Press). March 8, 2018. Retrieved March 21, 2018.
- Root, Kayla (January 25, 2018). Kentucky Shooter Joined Atheist Group, but Couldn't Stop ALL These Students from Praying. CBN News. Retrieved March 21, 2018.
- Stanton, Jenny (November 5, 2017). Texas church shooter Devin Kelley was an 'outcast'. Daily Mail. Retrieved on November 5, 2017.
- Shoebat, Theodore (November 5, 2017). Make No Mistake About It, The Man Who Slaughtered 26 Christians In A Baptist Church In Texas Was An Atheist Who Hated Christ And The Christian Faith. Walid Shoebat. Retrieved on November 5, 2017.
- UPDATE: Sutherland Springs Gunman Devin Kelley Wore "All Black" - Facebook Page Suggests He Was Diehard Atheist, CNN Fan. The Gateway Pundit (November 5, 2017). Retrieved on November 5, 2017.
- Devin Kelley: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know. Heavy (November 5, 2017). Retrieved on November 5, 2017.
- Texas shooter Devin Patrick Kelley was a radical SJW Atheist!. OneHallyu (November 5, 2017). Retrieved on November 5, 2017.
- DEVIN KELLEY FACEBOOK LIKED ATHEIST PAGES, CNN, Pacific Pundit
- Katie Zavadski (October 2, 2015). Umpqua Gunman Chris Harper Mercer Hated Religion Online. The Daily Beast. Retrieved on October 7, 2017.
- Eli Saslow, Sarah Kaplan and Joseph Hoyt (October 2, 2015). Oregon shooter said to have singled out Christians for killing in ‘horrific act of cowardice’. The Washington Post. Retrieved on October 7, 2017.
- The Chapel Hill shooting: White male atheist murders three Muslim students. New Statesman. Retrieved on October 7, 2017.
- Who is Jared Loughner? Friends Reveal Alienation. CBS News (January 10, 2011). Retrieved on 7 October 2017. “An ardent atheist, he began to characterize people as sheep whose free will was being sapped by the government and the monotony of modern life.”
- Keane, Brett (August 16, 2017). Atheists List of Killers and Criminals. GodTVRadio News. Retrieved on October 7, 2017.
- Wolcott, Martin Gilman (2004). The Evil 100. Kensington Publishing Corporation. ISBN 9780806525556. Retrieved on October 7, 2017.
- Carl Panzram Quotes
- Langton, Jerry (January 12, 2010). Rage: The True Story of a Sibling Murder. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 9780470739969. Retrieved on 7 October 2017. “I hate this world, I hate the people in it, I hate the way people live, I hate God, I hate the deceivers, I hate betrayers, I hate religious zealots...”
- People assume serial killers are atheists, Axios
- Rogers, Abby (July 23, 2012). Alleged Shooter James Holmes Bragged Of 'Soul Penetrating Eyes' On Dating Website (English). Business Insider. Retrieved on October 8, 2017. “In his profile, Holmes described himself as an agnostic man who "definitely" wants kids, only drinks "socially," and doesn't smoke.”
- Atheists List of Killers and Criminals by Brett Keane
- CS Monitor - Atheism, not religion, is the real force behind the mass murders of history by Dinesh D'Souza
- Atheist Murderers by Julian Ahlquist