March for Science
The March for Science, held on April 22, 2017, was a rebranding of the "Earth Day" demonstrations that have been held every year since 1970. The focus of Earth Day has been environmental issues since the beginning (before climate change became an issue), but 2017's demonstration expanded to science in general, and was generally a demonstration against U.S. President Donald Trump's policies related to science. Across the US and over the globe, the march was held in 600 cities.
In addition to protesting the Trump Administration's policies relating to climate change (most of the President's critical appointments in that regard disagree with liberals' claims that humans caused climate change), the March for Science protested against the President's other actions relating to scientific research.
|“||Consider that in hospitals, every machine with an on/off switch that diagnoses your health without first cutting you open, is based on one or more principles of physics, discovered by physicists and chemists who had no specific interest in medicine. This includes the MRI, PET scans, CT Scans, EKGs, EEGs, ultrasound, and of course, good old fashioned X-rays. So if you defund one line of research in favor of another, you thwart the entire moving frontier of discovery.||”|
Critics have noted that the "science" march actually intended to promote left-wing politics, through the meaningless buzzword "science," rather than actually promote science. This can be seen in the fact that the science marchers deny key scientific facts that contradict their liberal agenda.
- Many people consider it to have been more of a left-wing political demonstration than a scientific one. The two issues are closely intertwined, and separating them is difficult. It is certainly the case that most of the demonstrators were strongly opposed to President Trump's policies.
- Richardson, Valerie (April 21, 2017). March for Science comes under microscope over left-tilting political agenda. The Washington Times. Retrieved April 24, 2017.
- Lowry, Rich (April 24, 2017). It was a march to politicize science, not save it. New York Post. Retrieved April 27, 2017.
- Gutfeld Slams Bill Nye: March For Science Was Really 'March for Silence'. Fox News Insider. April 24, 2017. Retrieved April 27, 2017.
- Shapiro, Ben (April 26, 2017). Science vs. Science™! National Review. Retrieved April 27, 2017.
- Bokhari, Allum (April 23, 2017). 5 Scientific Facts The ‘Science March’ Has Yet to Acknowledge. Breitbart News. Retrieved April 24, 2017.
- March for Science: Bill Nye rallies thousands in DC amid threat of Trump budget cuts. Fox News. April 22, 2017. Retrieved April 27, 2017.
- Baker, Trent (April 22, 2017). Bill Nye: ‘Science Is Political’. Breitbart News. Retrieved April 26, 2017.