Michelle Bachelet (born September 29, 1951) was a Socialist president of Chile. She ruled her country from 2006 to 2010 and again from 2014 to 2018. She is a member of Socialist Party of Chile. Bachelet is the first director of United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. (UN Women) Bachelet is an agnostic.
Her father Alberto Bachelet was a supporter of Marxist dictator Salvador Allende.
During her second government, a pro-immigrant policy was applied. The immigrant population went from 1% to 6.1% with certain communities reaching historic numbers in the population such as Haitians, Venezuelans, Colombians and Ecuadorians, changing the demographics of Chile drastically. A lot are illegally since they entered with tourism visa and remained in the country after it expired. The former minister of foreign affairs, Heraldo Muñoz, admited that the government knew about the Haitian immigrant traffic and that they only notified the Haitian Government about it.
Bachelet also gave the chilean nationality to the children of the illegal immigrants, disrespecting the laws of Chile.
- Michelle Bachelet a la BBC sobre el aborto en Chile: "Soy una convencida de que las mujeres deben tener la posibilidad de decidir" (es). BBC (29 September 2016).
- Bachelet promulga ley de aborto en 3 causales "Saldamos una deuda enorme con las mujeres de Chile" (es). 24Horas (2016).
- Chile es el país americano con mayor aumento de inmigrantes (es). diarioestrategia.cl (9 November 2018).
- Haitianos en Chile esperan por horas a la intemperie para regularizar situación migratoria (es) (21 September 2018).
- Los vaivenes del polémico pacto migratorio - Mesa Central - 16 de diciembre (es). T13 (16 December 2018).
- Presidenta Bachelet encabeza lanzamiento del proyecto “Chile Reconoce”, para rectificar nacionalidad chilena de hijos de extranjeros transeúntes (es). Revista Sur (2017).
- Newman, Alex (August 10, 2018). Castro-loving Socialist to Lead UN “Human Rights” Bureaucracy. The New American. Retrieved August 11, 2018.