Michigan is the twenty-sixth state to enter into the union. It is known for its interesting geographical location, bordering four of the five Great Lakes (it does not border Lake Ontario). It is also comprised of two parts, the Upper Peninsula (known as the U.P.) and the Lower Peninsula (which is by far the larger of the two). The two are separated by water. Its capital is Lansing and largest city is Detroit.
Notable people from Michigan
- Inventor Thomas Edison lived in Port Huron.
- President Gerald Ford grew up in Michigan and represented the state in the House of Representatives before replacing Spiro Agnew as Vice President.
- Automaker Henry Ford was born in what is now Dearborn.
- Aviator Charles Lindbergh was born in Detroit.
- Pro-life activist and Domino's Pizza Founder Tom Monaghan was born in Ann Arbor.
- Liberal filmmaker Michael Moore was born in Flint.
- Civil rights pioneer Rosa Parks lived in Detroit for some of her life.