- Masjid al-Haram: A mosque in Mecca, Saudi Arabia. It contains the Kaaba and is the site of the annual Hajj pilgrimage. It is considered the holiest site in Islam.
- Masjid al-Nabawi: A mosque in Medina, Saudi Arabia. It is considered the second-holiest site in Islam.
- Al-Aqsa Mosque: Also known as Temple Mount, it was built on the site of the former Temple of Solomon in Jerusalem. Believed by Muslims to be the place where Muhammad ascended into Heaven, it is the third-holiest site in Islam.
- Imam Ali Mosque: Located in Najaf, Iraq. A holy site for the Shi'ite branch of Islam.
- Hagia Sophia: A former Christian church during the Byzantine Empire, it was captured and converted into a mosque when the Ottoman Empire was established in Istanbul.
- Lal Masjid: Radical mosque in Pakistan that was raided by the Pakistani police in 2007.