Open borders is the mistaken belief, often politically motivated, that freedom of movement from one country into another is a basic human right. It is a radical notion that national boundaries are unjust and that migrants of any other culture should be embraced. Immigration laws are to be ignored, under this view, while tolerance for foreign customs must be embraced, while integration into a new society is not observed out of respect and compassion for multicultural ethnic groups.
No borders means no country. No country means no identity. No identity means a sovereign nation ceases to exist. Illegal immigration destroys the fabric of society. Open borders is closely associated with communism.
Open borders result in more crime. In addition, capital resources are spent on migrants, most of whom have little or no education. Jail populations swell, the health system is burdened, schools struggle to cope, law enforcement and the courts are overwhelmed. The mindset of open-borders advocates is illustrated in the May 2019 storming and occupation of a terminal at the Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris – the illegal migrants who occupied it chanted: "France does not belong to the French!" Open borders also can pose a serious health risk to the affected countries.
Supporters of open borders
Liberals and globalists support the abolition of borders, along with an eventual one-world government. For example, Hillary Clinton stated in a 2013 speech in Brazil that "my dream is a hemispheric common market, with open trade and open borders, some time in the future." In American politics, both the Republican and Democrat parties support open borders (while the base of the former opposes open borders, the party establishment supports them). Republicans want access to cheap foreign labor for special interest groups and large donors. This drives wages down or wages remain flat for the rest of the population. Democrats want open borders to expand voter roles and grow government. Creating a larger government increases power for those holding political office and access to more and more tax money.
Both globalist European politicians, including President of the European Commission Jean-Claude Juncker, who stated in 2016 that "borders are the worst invention ever made by politicians," and American politicians including U.S. Representative Luis Gutierrez and Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, have advocated for globalist immigration policies.
Left-wingers – who also support late-term abortions – frequently misuse and misinterpret the Bible in order to further their political agenda of open borders. Rather than acknowledge the numerous other problems created by mass illegal immigration, open borders activists often claim that the only problem is ensuring proper care of the children migrating.
In 2018, Democrats became increasingly pro-open borders, even calling for the abolition of ICE and giving illegals a "right of passage" into the U.S. Ironically, some leftists had no problem funding border barriers in foreign countries even as they opposed a border barrier on the U.S. southern border. Every Democrat candidate in the 2020 presidential election advocated for open borders.
Syrian refugees head to Europe
- See also: European migrant crisis
Migrants to Europe are given books that are packed with tips, maps, phone numbers and advice about getting across Europe. The NGO is WatchTheMed and W2EU.info, they're "Activists from our network distribute the guides for free in Turkey". W2eu's website says, "We welcome all travellers on their difficult trip and wish you all a good journey - because freedom of movement is everybody's right!".
- Salam, Reihan (2018). Melting Pot or Civil War?: A Son of Immigrants Makes the Case Against Open Borders. New York: Sentinel. ISBN 9780735216273.
- Jasper, William F. (August 7, 2018). No Borders, No Nation. The New American. Retrieved August 15, 2018.
- Morici, Peter (April 29, 2019). Mass immigration poses an existential crisis for the West. MarketWatch. Retrieved May 3, 2019.
- Cuthbertson, Charlotte (May 29, 2019). Communism Expert on What’s Behind the Push for Open Borders. The Epoch Times. Retrieved May 29, 2019.
- Multiple references:
- Murphy, James (May 20, 2019). “France Does Not Belong to the French” Illegal Immigrants Storm French Airport. The New American. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- Montgomery, Jack (May 21, 2019). WATCH: ‘France Does Not Belong to the French!’ – Hundreds of Illegal Migrants Occupy French Airport. Breitbart News. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- Muhumuza, Rodney (June 18, 2019). Porous border could hinder efforts to stem spread of Ebola. Associated Press. Retrieved June 18, 2019.
- Multiple references:
- Wolfgang, Ben (October 8, 2016). Clinton admitted she’s for ‘open borders’ in paid, private speech: WikiLeaks. The Washington Times. Retrieved November 29, 2017.
- Westwood, Sarah (October 7, 2016). 'Open trade and open borders': Hacked emails contain transcripts of Clinton paid speeches. Washington Examiner. Retrieved November 29, 2017.
- Hahn, Julia (October 7, 2016). Leaked Hillary Clinton Speech to Foreign Bank: ‘My Dream Is a Hemispheric Common Market with Open Trade and Open Borders’. Breitbart News. Retrieved November 29, 2017.
- McHugh, Katie (October 19, 2016). Fact-Check: Yes, Hillary Clinton Wants Open Borders. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 31, 2018.
- Hale, Virginia (November 28, 2017). EU President: Without Millions of African Migrants, Europe Will Be Lost. Breitbart News. Retrieved November 28, 2017.
- Multiple references:
- EU boss: 'Borders are the worst invention ever made by politicians'. Fox News (from The Sun). August 23, 2016. Retrieved May 5, 2018.
- Kassam, Raheem (August 22, 2016). EU Prez Juncker: ‘Borders Are The Worst Invention Ever’. Breitbart News. Retrieved May 5, 2018.
- Barnato, Katy (August 23, 2016). National borders ‘worst invention ever’: EU chief. CNBC. Retrieved May 5, 2018.
- Binder, John (November 28, 2017). 21 Times Exiting Rep. Luis Gutierrez Touted Open-Borders. Breitbart News. Retrieved November 28, 2017.
- Hahn, Julia (October 17, 2015). Paul Ryan’s Open Borders Push With Luis Gutierrez Exposed in 2013 Video. Breitbart News. Retrieved November 28, 2017.
- Pollak, Joel B. (June 19, 2018). Pollak: How the Left Misinterprets the Bible to Promote Open Borders. Breitbart News. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- Munro, Neil (March 24, 2019). Border Emergency Is ‘Care of Children Crisis,’ Progressives Claim. Breitbart News. Retrieved March 24, 2019.
- Multiple references:
- Shaw, Adam (June 21, 2018). Trump immigration order met with shrugs and new demands from Dems: 'This isn't over'. Fox News. Retrieved June 21, 2018.
- Flood, Brian (June 21, 2018). Anti-Trump media moves goal posts after executive order in 'shameful' display of bias. Fox News. Retrieved June 21, 2018.
- Dinan, Stephen; Boyer, Dave (July 1, 2018). After Trump yields on family separation, immigration activists demand end to detentions, ICE. The Washington Times. Retrieved July 2, 2018.
- Binder, John (July 2, 2018). Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: Illegal Aliens Deserve ‘Right of Passage’ to Freely Enter U.S. Breitbart News. Retrieved July 2, 2018.
- Binder, John (February 18, 2019). U.S. Taxpayers Fund Border Walls in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Middle East. Breitbart News. Retrieved February 18, 2019.
- Scarry, Eddie (May 23, 2019). 2020 Democrats all have the same immigration position: Open borders. Washington Examiner. Retrieved May 23, 2019.
- Sky Finds 'Handbook' For EU-Bound Migrants, Sky news, September 15, 2015