|Papacy Began: 13 March 2013|
|Papacy Ended: Currently in office
Predecessor: Pope Benedict XVI Successor: None
|Born: 17 December 1936, as Jorge Mario Bergoglio
Motto: Miserando atque eligendo
|Reference style: His Holiness
In person: Your Holiness
In religion: Holy Father
His Holiness Pope Francis (formerly Jorge Mario Bergoglio, born December 17, 1936, in Buenos Aires, Argentina) became the Pope of the Roman Catholic Church on March 13, 2013. Pope Francis, elected as 266th Roman Catholic pontiff, is the first Jesuit and the first Latin American pope; First non-European pope in 1300 years. He succeeded Pope Benedict XVI, to whom he was reportedly the runner-up in the papal election of 2005. Archbishop Bergoglio was created a cardinal by the late Pope John Paul II.
Pope Francis is considered to be politically liberal on every issue except one: he is pro-life. Accordingly, the pro-abort media demands that he resign. He has called criticism from conservatives an "honor," and he endorsed a bigoted essay attacking conservative Catholics and evangelicals. He has called on Christians to ignore the Great Commission.
- 1 Background
- 2 Naming conventions
- 3 Personality
- 4 Political and Scientific Views
- 4.1 Abortion and euthanasia
- 4.2 Capital punishment
- 4.3 Climate change
- 4.4 Conscientious objection to same-sex marriage
- 4.5 Evolution and Big Bang
- 4.6 Hell
- 4.7 Homosexuality
- 4.8 Immigration, globalism, and nationalism
- 4.9 Church sexual abuse of children
- 4.10 Persecution and human rights
- 4.11 "Palestine" and Israel
- 4.12 Communism and Christianity
- 5 See also
- 6 References
The son of an Italian workman who emigrated to Argentina, Cardinal Bergoglio chose to carry the name of an Italian saint, "Francis", while serving as Pope. And like his papal namesake, St. Francis, Cardinal Bergoglio has an ascetic and humble lifestyle.
Pope Francis has overcome a disability: as a young man, one of his lungs was removed due to illness.
The Pope is the spiritual leader of 1.2 billion people - almost 17% of the Earth's population and 55% of all Christians.
Vatican tradition holds that when a new Pope is elected and takes a name that has not been used by a prior pope, they will be referred to simply as "Pope ______", rather than "Pope ______ I" until another pope has taken the same name. In this case "Pope Francis An exception to the rule occurred when Albino Luciani was elected Pope on August 26, 1978, and took the name, Pope John Paul I.
Pope Francis has shown to be very affectionate toward the poor, the sick, and the needy. Rather than flaunt his position as the head of the Church, with the expectation of being acknowledged, he humbles himself when in the presence of those less-fortunate.
Political and Scientific Views
Pope Francis is the most liberal pope in history, his progressive views about multiple issues were mainly supposed by Leftists around the globe. However, he has still taken some more conservative positions, such as on abortion.
Abortion and euthanasia
Pope Francis has spoken out against abortion. However, he played a key role in helping a euthanasia law pass in Italy, and he has frequently met with pro-abortion individuals despite refusing to meet with certain other figures because of their hardline immigration stances. The Vatican under Pope Francis choose to abandon the November 2019 Nairobi UN meeting due to its anti-life stance but others complained that he should have been more vocal in his opposition.
Pope Francis changed the catechism to oppose capital punishment in all cases, despite a long history of the Roman Catholic church supporting it in certain cases, but in agreement with the teachings of former pope John Paul II. The old catechism of 1992 stated: "Assuming that the guilty party's identity and responsibility have been fully determined, the traditional teaching of the Church does not exclude recourse to the death penalty, if this is the only possible way of effectively defending human lives against the unjust aggressor" and that already practically prohibited the endorsement of its application by the Roman Catholic church.
Saint Augustine supported capital punishment, Saint Thomas Aquinas supported it. Jesus was crucified alongside two rebels (gospel according to Mark and Matthew), and according to the gospel according to Luke one of them said that the death penalty for them as criminals was deserved as opposed to the unjust treatment of Jesus.
Pope Francis believes in the existence of human-caused climate change and has made that issue one of his strongest-held positions. Francis believes that humans face a "climate emergency" and that skepticism of human-caused climate change is "perverse."
Conscientious objection to same-sex marriage
Evolution and Big Bang
Speaking at the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, the Pope made comments which experts said put an end to the “pseudo theories” of creationism and intelligent design that some argue were encouraged by his predecessor, Benedict XVI.
Cardinal Bergoglio, now Pope Francis, has been an outspoken critic of homosexual adoption of children, explaining that it is discriminatory against the children. Pope Francis is also strongly pro-life, and has referred abortion as the "culture of death."
Among his teachings and stands, he strongly affirms church teaching on the intrinsic immorality of homosexual practices, though he teaches the importance of respecting homosexual persons. He strongly opposed legislation introduced in 2010 by the Argentine Government to give legal equivalency between true marriage and homosexual partners.
In 2017, Pope Francis asked Italian Education Minister Valeria Fedeli, a strong supporter of LGBT ideology and "gender theory" and someone opposed by pro-family organizations, to write the preface of a book he was writing on education. However, Pope Francis has otherwise opposed transgender ideology.
Immigration, globalism, and nationalism
Pope Francis supports globalist and very liberal immigration policies, and he has criticized those who support lower immigration levels, such as by claiming that concerns for cultural identity are not legitimate arguments for lower immigration.
Pope Francis has stated that people should rethink "the figure and the role of the nation-state" due to globalism.
Church sexual abuse of children
Persecution and human rights
Pope Francis has spoken out against violence of minorities in the Middle-East, including that of Christians, and, contrary to the typical Catholic views, has endorsed the use of force, if necessary, to accomplish this goal.
His holiness remains an adamant supporter of Social Justice. His 2009 speech, titled Las deudas sociales de nuestro tiempo, or The Social Debts of our Time, lays out his views on the world's inequality, between rich and poor, especially in Argentina. He further rebuked the wealthy, claiming that "You [the wealthy] avoid taking into account the poor. We have no right to duck down, to lower the arms carried by those in despair. We must reclaim the memory of our country who has a mother, recover the memory of our Mother."
"Palestine" and Israel
Pope Francis is set to sign a treaty that includes a provision that will recognize "Palestine" as a state. He called Palestinian Authority leader Mahmoud Abbas a “man of peace” and in May 2015 he even told him: “I have thought of you: that you could be an angel of peace.”
Communism and Christianity
- Reuters: Pope Succession
- Multiple references:
- McLean, Dorothy Cummings (September 5, 2019). Pope Francis calls it ‘an honor’ to have Americans ‘attack’ him. LifeSiteNews. Retrieved September 5, 2019.
- Williams, Thomas D. (September 4, 2019). Pope Francis: ‘It Is an Honor to Be Attacked by the Americans’. Breitbart News. Retrieved September 5, 2019.
- Rodrigo, Chris Mills (September 4, 2019). Pope Francis calls attacks from conservative critics an 'honor'. The Hill. Retrieved September 4, 2019.
- Winfield, Nicole (September 4, 2019). Pope on critics: It’s ‘an honor if the Americans attack me’. Associated Press. Retrieved September 4, 2019.
- Williams, Thomas D. (September 27, 2019). Pope Francis Endorses Essay Trashing U.S. Conservative Christians. Breitbart News. Retrieved September 27, 2019.
- Williams, Thomas D. (December 22, 2019). Pope Francis Tells Christians Not to Try to Convert Nonbelievers. Breitbart News. Retrieved December 22, 2019.
- Montagna, Diane (December 23, 2019). Does Pope Francis repudiate the Great Commission? LifeSiteNews. Retrieved December 23, 2019.
- Los Angeles Times: Pope Naming
- CNN: Pope Francis' name choice 'precedent shattering'
- Pericle Felici made the following announcement in Latin, Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum: Habemus Papam! Eminentissimum ac reverendissimum Dominum, Dominum Albinum Sanctæ Romanæ Ecclesiæ Cardinalem Luciani, qui sibi nomen imposuit Ioannis Pauli Primi
- Washington Post: Pope Francis saw a boy with cerebral palsy. This is what happened next
- Williams, Thomas D. (October 15, 2017). Pope Francis: Safeguard Human Life ‘Especially in the Mother’s Womb’. Breitbart News. Retrieved October 15, 2017.
- Williams, Thomas D. (December 28, 2017). Pope Francis Prays for End to Abortion on Feast of ‘Holy Innocents’. Breitbart News. Retrieved December 28, 2017.
- McLean, Dorothy Cummings (December 19, 2017). Pope Francis credited with helping euthanasia law pass in Italy. LifeSiteNews. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- Hoffman, Matthew Cullinan (April 1, 2019). Pope Francis refuses to meet with Italian minister because of tough stand on immigration: reports. LifeSiteNews. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- Mosher, Steven (November 13, 2019). Vatican quietly stands by as UN once again vigorously pushes abortion, population control. LifeSiteNews. Retrieved November 14, 2019.
- Williams, Thomas D. (August 2, 2018). Pope Francis Amends Catechism, Declares Capital Punishment ‘Inadmissible’. Breitbart News Retrieved August 2, 2018.
- Kwasniewski, Peter (August 2, 2018). Pope’s change to Catechism contradicts natural law and the deposit of Faith. LifeSiteNews. Retrieved August 2, 2018.
- With death penalty change, Francis builds on John Paul II's teaching
- Proof: It is shown by multiple cases where DNA analysis proved the innocence of people on death row that even the condition fully determined cannot be fulfilled. And if the second condition were fulfilled that would be a shame to the system of any developed country: A country must have a stable system where killers cannot get out of prison prematurely (or at all when it's a life sentence) - unless their verdict is rightfully overturned.
- Williams, Thomas D. (January 8, 2018). Pope Francis: Global Warming Is ‘Consequence of Human Activity’. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- Williams, Thomas D. (November 16, 2017). Pope Francis: Climate Change Skepticism Is ‘Perverse’. Breitbart News. Retrieved November 16, 2017.
- NBC News: Conscientious objection is a human right, Pope Francis
- Time: What Pope Francis thought of the United States
- Independent: Evolution and Big Bang Theory are right, and God isn't a magician with a magic wand
- Williams, Thomas D. (March 30, 2018). Vatican Refuses to Disavow Pope’s Alleged Denial of Hell. Breitbart News. Retrieved March 31, 2018.
- The American Conservative: Pope Francis and the Vatican's 'gay lobby', Giraldi, Philip (18 June 2013)
- Yahoo News, Australia: Children's rights, Pope Francis
- Catholic Online: NEW POPE: Who is this man named Bergoglio?
- Williams, Thomas D. (October 2, 2017). Pope’s New Book Features Preface by Gender Theory Activist. Breitbart News. Retrieved October 3, 2017.
- Williams, Thomas D. (October 5, 2017). Pope Francis Decries ‘Unisex Utopia’ of Trangenderism. Breitbart News. Retrieved October 5, 2017.
- Multiple references:
- Williams, Thomas D. (September 28, 2017). Vatican Launches Two-Year Campaign to Provoke a ‘Shift in Thinking’ on Immigration. Breitbart News. Retrieved October 15, 2017.
- Williams, Thomas D. (September 27, 2017). Pope Francis: Jesus Christ Himself Asks Us to Welcome Migrants ‘With Arms Wide Open’. Breitbart News. Retrieved October 15, 2017.
- Williams, Thomas D. (January 16, 2019). Analyst: Pope’s Sagging Popularity Signals Fading Trust in Globalism. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 16, 2019.
- Williams, Thomas D. (December 25, 2019). Pope Francis Offers Triple Shout-Out to Migrants in Christmas Blessing. Breitbart News. Retrieved December 25, 2019.
- Miguel, Luis (December 26, 2019). On Christmas, Pope Francis Condemns Walls and “Detainment Camps”. The New American. Retrieved December 26, 2019.
- Williams, Thomas D. (September 30, 2017). Pope Francis: Unease with Mass Migration Due to ‘Innate Fear of the Foreigner’. Breitbart News. Retrieved October 15, 2017.
- Williams, Thomas D. (September 22, 2017). Pope Francis Says Concern for ‘Cultural Identity’ Doesn’t Justify Opposition to Mass Migration. Breitbart News. Retrieved October 15, 2017.
- Williams, Thomas D. (October 20, 2017). Pope Francis: Humanity Must ‘Rethink’ Role of Nation-State in Globalized World. Breitbart News. Retrieved October 20, 2017.
- USA Today: Hundreds of thousands flood Philly for Pope Francis' final Mass
- The Guardian: Isis violence against minorities in Iraq must be stopped, Pope Francis
- Business Insider: Pope Francis Endorses Use Of Force Against ISIS In Iraq
- New York Times: Vatican to recognize Palestinian State in new treaty
- THE POPE AND THE PALESTINIANS. FrontpageMag. May 19, 2015. Retrieved August 31, 2018.