Race baiting is a term for groundless accusations of racism. It is a unique and deliberate focus on race in an attempt to discredit others as racist. An important component of race baiting is for the indicter to appear factual, neutral, unbiased, a person truely above racisms' perversion. Others are unapologetic about racial bias, referring to groups whether guilty or innocent, as rotten people that has to be exposed. It is subtle in its use, race baiting is considered hate speech and affects all races and religious groups, even gender.
2008 Presidential elections
The race for President is not without the injection of racism charges. The first African-American Democrat Obama running against a white Republican McCain. McCain is an honorable person as proven by his 28 years of elected office and his dedication to this country during a time of war. This has not stopped his opponents from trying to associate him with racism by means of race baiting.
- Kansas City Star editorial columnist Lewis Diuguid wrote that by the GOP branding Obama a socialist claimed using the word was “an old code word for black.” 
- NYTimes: "McCain ad that likened Obama's celebrity status to lightweight celebrities like Paris Hilton and Britney Spears, Obama suggested three times on Wednesday that the McCain campaign was trying to scare voters with racial appeals." 
- Time posts online, "Obama's Fannie Mae connections are completely fair game. But this ad doesn't even mention a far more significant tie. Instead, it relies on a fleeting and tenuous reference in a Washington Post Style section story to suggest that Obama's principal economic adviser is former Fannie Mae Chairman Frank Raines. Why? One reason might be that Johnson is white; Raines is black. Consider McCain's new ad, which the campaign says it will be airing nationally: Sinister images of two black men, followed by one of a vulnerable-looking elderly white woman." Karen Tumulty, the TIME author, in laying accusations against McCain, points out that the Washington Post style is racist.
- Democratic congressman from Georgia John Lewis drew a rhetorical line connecting McCain to the white segregationist Alabama governor George Wallace and, through Wallace, to the 1963 church bombing in Birmingham that killed four girls. Obama and the Democratic national party distanced themselves and gave no rebuke of or apologies for Lewis's comments to McCain.
- Washington Post editorial, "false claims that Obama is Muslim, that he trained to overthrow the government and that he was educated in Wahhabi schools are a standard part of the political discussion. These fake stories come from voices on the ultra right that have dabbled in other forms of conspiracy, including classic anti-Semitism."
- The Associated Press claimed, "Even mentioning the association with Ayers, as Sarah Palin did in a speech earlier in the week, signifies a hidden 'racial tinge'."
- In a statement Obama repeated three times, he said what George Bush and John McCain are "going to try to do is make you scared of me. You know, he’s not patriotic enough. He’s got a funny name. You know, he doesn’t look like all those other presidents on those dollar bills." Neither has done any such thing, of course. McCain has distanced himself from attacks with the remotest hint of racial undertones. McCain's campaign made a small ad about Obamas giant ego, his image on Mt. Rushmore and the hundred dollar bill. Obama neutralized the criticism by claiming the ego attack ads are racist. 
- In an editorial titled McCain unleashes the 'kooks', "Are we witnessing the re-emergence of the far right as a power in American politics? Has John McCain, inadvertently perhaps, become the midwife of a new movement built around fear, xenophobia, racism and anger?" Washington Post columnist E.J. Dionne Jr. 
As race baiting, liberals will purposely slight African-American Republicans on character and old stereotypes. Notable politicians and judges, such as Michael Steele and Clarence Thomas have been maliciously attacked in this way. In a Washington Times article, Michael Steele of Maryland "....pelting him with Oreo cookies during a campaign appearance, calling him an “Uncle Tom” and depicting him as a black-faced minstrel on a liberal Web log. Operatives for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee (DSCC) also obtained a copy of his credit report — the only Republican candidate so targeted.  Whoopi Goldberg delighted the Manhattan liberal theatre crowd with a little Clarence Thomas-bashing while hosting the Tony Awards on CBS. Typically, she suggested that Justice Thomas wasn't really a black man, to laughter and applause. 
There are plenty of comments reminding voters of anti-semitism or its use in where none exists. For example, Ira Forman, Executive Director National Jewish Democratic Council, said, "Jewish voters should take comfort in knowing that MoveOn.org is not a haven for anti-Semitism and the organization will renounce and remove any postings of the sort. Leave it to Republicans to not allow the truth to get in the way of campaigning.". In this statement, Forman very subtly equated Republicans with racism by specifically stating that a) MoveOn.org is not racist and b) Republicans are not like MoveOn.org. The National Jewish Democratic Council is a controversial liberal-left, anti-Christian, anti-military political foundation. 
"Alcee Hastings denounces all gun owners and hunters as racists and anti-Semites."
- Media Downplay Any Talk of Obama’s ‘Socialism’ October 27, 2008
- NYT Calls McCain Ad Racist, McCain Camp Likens Editors to Kos Kids NewsBusters.org, August 1, 2008
- Obama’s Racism Card NationalReviewOnline, August 1, 2008
- McCain Plays the Race Card TIME, September 18, 2008
- John Lewis Smears McCain As Enabling Racist Violence; WaPo Sugar-Coats It In Blandness NewsBusters.org, October 12, 2008
- McCain and the Raging Right Washington Post, October 15, 2008
- Obama doesn't make you a racist CNN, October 9, 2008
- Obama’s Racism Card NationalReviewOnline, August 1, 2008
- John McCain's Youtube Account
- McCain unleashes the 'kooks' Washington Post, October 15, 2008
- THE VILE BILE WE HAVE TO PUT UP WITH Michelle Malkin, November 2, 2005
- Whoopi Jokes at Tony Awards That Clarence Thomas Isn't Black NewsNusters.org, June 16, 2008
- "Jewish" Democrats Host Hate-Monger and Impeached Perjurer Alcee Hastings Free Republic, September 30, 2008